IGNORED

Replacement Inner Rocker Panels

disepyon

Robert,

My bad for the late response.

Seems to be about what mine looked like but a little bit worse.  For rocker tie end panels replacements I make, my concern is how far up does the rust travel on them? Looking from inside the car at each end (front and rear) from the inner rockers, does the metal appear solid, bubbled, surface rust, dark in color rust? If it seems to travel above the top of the inner rocker panels, then I may need to give you extra material up top on the tie ends. However from what I can see from the pictures you provided, that area still looks healthy and the rust seemed to stay at the bottom of the rockers, which is a good thing, in terms of replacing all that.  I can also tell just by looking on the outside too, that it seems to be fine, but I may just give you a little bit extra material up top just to be safe.

Id be up for making you a full kit, just let me know. Keep in mind though, I am working a lot at my job, so getting your parts may take a week or week and half before shipping. So I would allow you some time for me to make and ship to you before your ready to work on it.

Also once you remove the rockers, id look up from the bottom up into the front door jam structural beam thing (not sure what its called), where the door hinges bolt too. Hopefully the inside isnt all rotted. Mine wasnt and all i did was spray it with POR15 prep and ready, degreaser, wash it with water up inside as much you can, then go to town with rust preventive paint.

Let me know what else you have questions about.

Edited by disepyon

Brent,

Thanks for the advice! It's always helpful to get advice from people that have traveled further down the road. :) I still have to remove the interior from my car so I'm not able to inspect the inner rockers from inside the car. However, I took a closer look at each end of the passenger side which is probably a little worse than the driver's side. On the front end the rust seems to be contained inside the rocker panels, with some rust creeping past the top weld/joint. From the outside the A pillar where the doors are mounted appears sound, with minor surface rust. Again, I'll have to confirm how this area looks after I get some of the interior out. As expected, the dog legs are shot, but I have new quarter panels. I peeled back the dog leg and like the front, the rear rocker area is rusted through but seems to be contained to the lower rockers. Looking up the rear quarter and inner wheel arch, the rust damage is all down below. I also have new inner wheel arches.

In regards to a timeframe to order the full kit, I still have to save roughly half of the price. So I'll be ready to order the kit in late February or mid March. It's definitely more of a slow marathon and not a sprint for me! :) I was wondering did you use the Tabco outer rockers or did you can fab your own? Your outer rockers look better than the ones I have from Tabco (MSA). I'm thankful for your services because it would be difficult for me to fabricate these parts on my own!

Robert S.

IMAG0541.jpg.ebed70b00a47c8f083a79a905cd

IMAG0546.jpg.d9fe0237a0b6dd3e8cdc7c334f2

IMAG0547.thumb.jpg.335033186e837389cabd8

IMAG0549.jpg.10420f9e165aa896906bad6adf8

IMAG0551.jpg.891df391adb400fd2947c52c415

IMAG0555.thumb.jpg.c03b3559cd40389cd1e4f

Robert, I will be around when your ready for a set of rockers.

I used the Tabco outer rockers.  Just takes some trimming and a little bit of forming on the lips of the panel to get it to work. The ones I had fit pretty good. The only issue I had with one of the Tabco rockers was a hairline stress crack on a seam. Refer to the last page of my guide, cant seem to find the picture in my image vault on my computer. 

INTERIOR ROCKER PANEL INSTALLATION GUIDE.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, newtonhubcap said:

Hi Robert, did you have any takers on the seat mounting brackets for the 240z? Also, any thought about fabbing up front frame rails?

Thanks and your work looks good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I still havent made a set of seat brackets for someone to test fit for me.  I am still interested in that person, so let me know if you would like to be a tester.

I may possibly fab up front frame rails, would need to have plans made for them first.  They actually dont require much fabrication to make.

Damn, the video ad at the end of this page is messing with me when trying to type this post....

Thanks,

Brent

2 hours ago, newtonhubcap said:

Hey Brent, what I have are 2 1971's. I have a need for the front seat bracket for the driver seat but would take a full set both sides.

Cool, let me refigure out the plans and I will get back with you by the end of this weekend.

2 hours ago, newtonhubcap said:

Not a problem.

Hey Ive been thinking about it, I may take you up on making front frame rails.  I dug up my old ones in a pile of scrap in my garage (thankfully one side is still in one piece).  If your not in a rush, give me little bit to ponder on the idea. that is you havent bought replacements yet.

I have already made a template of the front seat brackets, Will start on the rears tomorrow.

Also just so you know, since you are my tester for these things, you will be getting half off price of what I am going to sell this stuff for.

Update, Officially Established a Working Website: https://www.prospect-d.com/

Sorry the prices keep changing on these panels. Prices are set and final, not changing anymore. Keep in mind that it is an intensive process in making these.

Robert S. I will keep your price as before since you informed me on your situation of saving for these. Wouldnt be fair for you on my end. Send me a Pm or email me at bpeck@prospect-d.com when your ready to order.