IGNORED

Replacement Inner Rocker Panels

disepyon

4 hours ago, wheee! said:

They look great. So much easier than the 280 pans with the compound curves around the catalytic converter on the driver side.

Thanks, Id like to get to know the 280z better to help that crowd out with replacement panels, but I dont own a 280z. Also I am not sure how rusty they often get compared to the 240z.

If you're going to make seat mounting brackets, keep in mind that 77-78 are different than anything else. They use different seat rails and have front mounting holes on an angle instead of straight down. I don't know if the rear bracket is the same, but I can guarantee that the front one is different than anything prior.

18 hours ago, wheee! said:

Well you've seen my thread... lots more where that came from.

Haha yeah, Just always thought that 280z's in general were always less than 240z's when it came to being rusty.

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

If you're going to make seat mounting brackets, keep in mind that 77-78 are different than anything else. They use different seat rails and have front mounting holes on an angle instead of straight down. I don't know if the rear bracket is the same, but I can guarantee that the front one is different than anything prior.

Thanks for the heads up, well worth knowing this to anyone wanting seat brackets.  As of now I dont have anything to offer to the 280z crowd, would require me to borrow someones car or get my own.  The 260z's I have no idea about, way beyond my guru knowledge as how identical they are to the 240z's.

If you look at the second pic I posted of the mounts welded back in the car, you can see the bolts threaded in at the 45 degree point front and back. So I guess the early 75/76 280's were unique too! The interesting thing is that the top mounting holes are there, but no capture nuts inside for a top mount rail.... So a universal mount could be made that has a mounting points in both locations!

Just going to pop this in here to avoid any more clutter in OP's thread... ZCarSource frame rails for early 280Z's. They are collapsed in the pictures, but they are the same as mine.

seats.jpg

Edited by wheee!
Update with pic

Yeah, I saw the mounting bolts you had threaded in, and that's what surprised me. I'm no Z genealogy expert, and probably should have tempered my statements above, but I thought the early 280's were the same as the 240/260's. Seems not...

I was also wondering if you maybe had the rear mounting bolts threaded into the wrong spots, but it seems you ruled that out as well? Snap a pic or two of your seat rails when they turn up.  :)  More learning to be had!

• 2 weeks later...

Brent,

I was able to get some photos of the rocker ends on both sides of the car. Judging from the photos, I'll be saving for a complete set of your inner rockers and tie ends. Yes, there's a lot of rust damage, but I'd like to know what you think since you've already repaired these areas in your Z.

Robert S.

This first set is from the passenger side.

IMAG0511.jpg.ecf9fb0af0bf74ef7351c85dbc1

IMAG0514.jpg.44cd0821b9792f8fa7ffff742ba

IMAG0515.thumb.jpg.f16271058c6487ade78ea

IMAG0526.thumb.jpg.3f41306efe586b958d345

This second set is from the drivers side.

IMAG0527.jpg.4f16c6a3899f71eeaa7a9d28eed

IMAG0529.thumb.jpg.6ee3b22da6420790ee678

IMAG0533.jpg.c450a3cc8417b78e14473fb94ae