IGNORED

I want to DIY 3" exhaust without welding..

jeremy93ls

I'd really like 3" exhaust after hearing another 280 with it.

I'm thinking I'd start at the down pipe by transitioning up into 3" pipe using a reducer/adapter, then through a big resonator along the transmission tunnel (longest I can fit), then 3" piping to the rear. I like the idea of using lap/butt joint clamps to hold it together since I haven't acquired a welder yet. The exhaust route under these cars looks fairly simple, so I've nearly talked myself into doing it after I finish up the front end suspension bushings.

If I buy several bends, straight pipe and quality stainless clamps, how hard could it be? :(

If I were you I would fit it together and have a shop weld it up after you get it the way you want it. It is a little tricky to get the exhaust tucked up under the car well. 3" will be even harder. A decent exhaust shop should weld it up for just a little money

44 minutes ago, Patcon said:

It is a little tricky to get the exhaust tucked up under the car well. 3" will be even harder.

I know that's the truth!  I had a hard time with 2.5" 0n my 240. My 280 with 16" Rewinds doesn't scrape. The 240 with 15s did coming out of my driveway. You should take a measurement from the differential cross member down including the 3 inches for the pipe . Thats the lowest point. My 2.5" will not fit in the cut out all the way. It looks it will but it will not.

6 hours ago, jeremy93ls said:

I'd really like 3" exhaust after hearing another 280 with it.

It probably was not the diameter of the pipe that gave the sound.  There must have been a muffler involved somewhere.

3" is probably also overkill for a stock L28.  

Edited by Zed Head

Go with 2.5 and if you really want a non-welded exhaust then look at what is installed on race car back in the day.

There are tabs on the ends and the pipes slip together and are held in place with strong springs.

Or just get it bend up right and have it welded with a few flanges for easy removal.