IGNORED

polyurethane car paint got sprayed a little bit on dashboard! How to remove??

jalexquijano

Actually the skin might be a two component urethane also.  So it might not melt or dissolve but it can still absorb solvent and swell, and crack.  The key here though is that the paint may not dissolve anyway if it's a two-component paint, so a solvent might be pointless.

Bu the shop should know all about the type of paint and how to remove it.  Or if it is removable at all.

If it's catalyzed paint it is probably not coming off with a solvent that's not going to hurt the dash skin. If it's not catalyzed you should get your money back...maroon or grey scuff pad or some fine sand paper maybe, since your dash isn't pristine but it will probably haze the areas you work on. Or you could just use some black vinyl paint and recolor the whole dash...

As mentioned before, a dash cap can solve the paint and the crack problems. They are not very expensive and probably the easiest thing to do.

If you want to continue the restoration and wanted to restore the dash, now would be the time to do it. There is some really good information and threads here on how to do that. The dash is not too difficult to remove.

Probably the cheapest and safest remedy would be to just remove the dash, clean it and repaint it. Same as restoring except that you are skipping crack repair.  The final step in restoring a dash is repainting anyway. I used SEM TRIM BLACK with excellent results.

Unknown.jpeg

On ‎07‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 10:16 PM, psdenno said:

Did you happen to ask the paint shop to clean it up?  If you try to clean it and mess up the dash, it's your fault/problem.  If the shop tries to clean it, they probably have the correct material.  If they mess it up, it's their problem to rectify.  Be assertive.

Dennis

Dennis,

Got pissed and took the car back to the paintshop! They should solve this issue not me! They told me Kerosene could probably take the paint stain off! this dash has some cracks but i guess they could be fixed by some expert! The stain must be removed!!

4 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

Dennis,

Got pissed and took the car back to the paintshop! They should solve this issue not me! They told me Kerosene could probably take the paint stain off! The stain must be removed!!

Good for you, you did the right thing by being assertive as I suggested earlier.  Now, for lesson #2.

Since they told you kerosene would take the paint off safely (questionable), the next thing you need to do is go back to them and say, "Show me, pendejo!"  They created a problem that shouldn't be your's to fix.  Keep after them until they get tired of seeing you.

Dennis

• Like 1

That's one of the first words I learned working with some guys from Guatemala,  that and maricon. 

Cheech told Chong that pendejo meant "friends". They crashed in someones front yard and Chong was saying "hey pendejos!!" ROFL

Edited by siteunseen
Can't edit from my phone, why?
  • Like 2