IGNORED

polyurethane car paint got sprayed a little bit on dashboard! How to remove??

jalexquijano

Just got my car back from the paintshop and noticed that even though they covered the dashboard during the paint procedure, my car got really dusted and i found some tracer of spray paint on top of the dashboard! Anyone knows of any product that can help me remove the paint without damaging the dashboard of my 72 240z? in the picture shown you can notice that there was a tape that covered one space the rest is sprayed. Thinner or varsol????

IMG_20160730_142513.jpg

Did you happen to ask the paint shop to clean it up?  If you try to clean it and mess up the dash, it's your fault/problem.  If the shop tries to clean it, they probably have the correct material.  If they mess it up, it's their problem to rectify.  Be assertive.

Dennis

• Like 1

Today's urethane paints are usually two component which means that they won't dissolve after they cure.  Acetone, MEK, or other strong solvents might do more damage than good and they probably won't dissolve the overspray.  I wouldn't use any solvents at all, that old dash will absorb solvent, swell, and crumble.  Could be a disaster.

If the dash has had Armor All or similar vinyl care products used on it, the overspray won't adhere well.  A light scrubbing with more Armor All might remove it.  

If you decide to try a solvent, test it out on a hidden corner first.

i dont want to deal any longer with the paint shop! they charged me US$4,750 pluse US$700 in paint and materials to restore and paint the car! It took then 4 months to accomplish this! Im done with them! wanna fix it by my own! Ill keep using armor all!

Looks like Varsol is a "light" thinner. Probably not hot enough. But beware like everyone is saying, it could do more damage than good. 

I would still go to the shop that is guilty of this and make them fix it. You spent a good dollar for the paint job, not to mention it's the right thing to do. 

Mineral spirits might cut it and it's not as "hot" as other thinners. It's more oil based too so no melting of the plastic. It may take multiple applications though.

Aren't you an attorney or kin to one? I've googled your email and that's what came up. You should be able to get satisfaction from the painter.

Do not use acetone or Goof Off (a mix of primarily xylene and acetone).  The outer dash skin is made of a plastic that's similar to ABS and either of those two will melt it.  You can actually get some color and shine back by wiping with acetone, but in this case you're probably more likely to get the oversprayed paint to further embed in or bond to the dash.

I would take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it, but that's not super helpful advice, so I think your best bet here is a scuff pad and elbow grease.