IGNORED

Draw through carb turbo setup

Serban

Could be, I didn't really inspect the cam. This car sat for 15-20 years, but the oil in the engine is fairly clean. The previous owner told me he would crank it every so often so it doesn't seize. 

On a side note, the valves appear to be stock size. 42mm and 33mm. Still trying to figure out how this was a $9000 engine...

This is an interesting configuration. The first version of this configuration I ever saw was in the '64 Chevy Corvair. It even got a special write up in the Popular Science. The advantage of this configuration is the ability to use a standard carburetor with the float chamber vented to the air. Placing the turbo ahead of the carb requires the float chamber vented to the pressurized carb inlet.

There is a guy selling a FI conversion system that bolts onto the SU carbs but Windows 10 wiped out my link to it in my favorites. Maybe another member has the link.

That sounds interesting too.

I have a crazy vision of doing a draw through twin turbo T28 setup, an SU carb on the front of each turbo, may not work, but it would be cool to try. 

Be careful about "sand" blasting some of those parts. Sand is very aggressive and can be dangerous to use! The Turbo housing could probably be fine bead blasted but if you get too aggressive with them the clearances will open up and the boost will go down

I use the term "sand blasting" loosely, I actually use an 80 grit glass bead media, it does the job without the damage. 

The turbo cleaned up real well, the bearing was very clean and I don't feel it needed to be replaced, just needed a good cleaning and some new gaskets.

Not sure if the manifold adapter looks good in Satin black, might clean it off again and just clear coat the raw finish. 

20170615_215303.jpg

20170620_223613.jpg

20170621_214506.jpg

Glass beads work great. You may know this but for those who don't glass beads can be dangerous too. Use a cabinet or a respirator to prevent silicosis. Once heavy particles get into the lungs they generally don't come out. Drowning in your own juices doesn't sound like fun...

23 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Glass beads work great. You may know this but for those who don't glass beads can be dangerous too. Use a cabinet or a respirator to prevent silicosis. Once heavy particles get into the lungs they generally don't come out. Drowning in your own juices doesn't sound like fun...

Thanks for the heads up, I use a cabinet to clean these parts, I know how nasty the glass beads can be if you breathe them in.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:09 AM, Serban said:

Mine has not run since the 90s, it is project in wait at my friend's body shop.  I will be honest my starting point is a little better, the turbo is not locked up.  My car has a 3 piece Gnose on it and big fiberglass over fenders.  I have to go by my friend's shop and take some pictures of it.