IGNORED

Sentra A/C in a Z?

I got a '95 Sentra with bone chilling air for $400.  I've read people talk about it but nothing ever definitive or successfully done.

Is there any way I might rob the system and put it in my 240?  The evaporator box is looking like a good swap as is the blower.  The hardlines could be fabbed up I think. 

Has anybody ever done this?  I've got a $400 car that blows 45 degree a/c.  Vintage air is $1200 just for parts.

Thanks for any ideas,  good or bad.  I'm hoping someone else has thought about this.

Well for starters, the 95 sentra compressor is serpentine and the compressor mounts look really different.

I seem to remember someone putting in a 280z system into their 240z. Getting the evap to fit is the hardest part.  Hybridz search perhaps.

He integrated the controls into the 240z which is more work than most people want to do.  Just give me a simple on/off switch. You either need a/c or you don't, right?

We don't need no fancy mixing valves or vacuum bottles....

sZCarHVACTestFit1.jpg

cheapest and least work is to cobble together a frankenstein system. A used hitachi compressor and mount off a 280z-x, new parallel condenser and a used ARA 240z evap

with ARA on/off switch with all new custom hoses. 

Check out a video of a guy installing a vintage air evap. Notice he drilled holes up into the cowl where water can leak through. He also had to fab a bracket for

the bottom. It's not a plug n play system. https://youtu.be/QDksgw4MVIo

Edited by hr369
  • Like 1

You're exactly right, it's got a serpentine pulley and belt.  The evap box is what got my interest up, it's smaller and mounts right up under the glove box with the ducting going out the same as my ARA one does in the other 240.  It's hoses also go through the firewall at about the same location.  

Eh, I'll figure something out and use the money from when I sale the Sentra.  Thank you for the ideas! :)

I can use the the old evap box and controls with this, I think? http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-UNDERHOOD-UPGRADE-PACKAGE-FOR-DATSUN-240Z-260Z-280Z/181739985434?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D68f6f92f82714a059d0e1d6eab5bb956%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D181739985434

I watched the video did not see a final outcome with it working  (just got to the point where the fan would run). I wonder how it turned out.

Its clearly a lot of work, and agree with the issue of drilling holes into the cowl area. I would have make brackets to attach to the factory locations to avoid the risk of leaking water at the cowl.

Anyway Clearly a lot of work as would be any solution that involves AC (heck even just replacing a evap in a factory AC would not be a walk in the park). If it was me I would prob try to adapt a 280z system, before going thru all that, but maybe the vintage air would work better. The biggest down side is even if you got it all in (vintage air)and working its still not going to ever be able to vent outside air into the car as the cowl tunnel connection and select door is deleted.

I recall my old 240 with the suck thru system was not the best, but I wonder how much of that was due to the status of the system, back then is was relatively new (1980) so I assume the seals in the air handling box were ok, but I did not have proper AC gauges and never really got that into it. Also I wonder if the air ducts and fan were limiting the performance as much as the suck thru design.

I'll gather up all my a/c parts and what's already in the car and post them.  I'm thinking I have all I need except the compressor and maybe a better drier.  I want a current freon style, 134a?  They'll probably outlaw that as soon as I buy one. :rolleyes:  

My '77 has factory air but it's the R12.  I've read there is a drop in replacement now for commercial coolers and freezers, RS-24.  I'd like to try that on the 280.

8 hours ago, siteunseen said:

You're exactly right, it's got a serpentine pulley and belt.  The evap box is what got my interest up, it's smaller and mounts right up under the glove box with the ducting going out the same as my ARA one does in the other 240.  It's hoses also go through the firewall at about the same location.  

Eh, I'll figure something out and use the money from when I sale the Sentra.  Thank you for the ideas! :)

I can use the the old evap box and controls with this, I think? http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-UNDERHOOD-UPGRADE-PACKAGE-FOR-DATSUN-240Z-260Z-280Z/181739985434?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D68f6f92f82714a059d0e1d6eab5bb956%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D181739985434

I get really leery when ONE kit fits a whole bunch of different cars. Reminds me of JC whitney. It's not clear what kind of evap they tie into.  O-ring zx or flare fitting? or no fitting on the evap side of the hose

set?  Nostalgic air sells a universal sanden mount for 50$ and a sanden compressor can be had for a couple hundred. Gotta be careful you don't get a chinese knockoff nowdays.

Kits fit

1971 1972 1973 Datsun 240Z 6 cylinder 2.4 liter

1974 Datsun 260Z 6 cylinder 2.4 liter

1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 280Z 6 cylinder 2.4 liter

1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 280ZX 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, charliekwin said:

Not sure if you've seen this or how much help it'll be, but here's a guy on HybridZ that put in the HVAC from a Miata.  If you give a mouse a cookie... http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/124965-frankenterior/

Really like how this miata system appears to fit. Other issues are,  can the 240z cable system be adapted to it and how does it fit with a 240z dash over it?

And, can you integrate the fresh air duct in the cowl into the fan housing?  Vintage air has you block this off for their install.

It's nice to have a little outside air coming in if you've got an exhaust leak and how many of these cars have one of those?

2002-miata-ac-system.jpg

Edited by hr369

I think I would rather try and install a 280zx, not sure how different from the Z but can't be any more of an effort than the vintage air kit. I think the ZX has a slightly larger evap and maybe could tie into the existing blower box? (this is for a 240z, if I had a 280z I would just try and find the parts for a 280z).

I think Redbird went with the vintage Air on her 280z

1 hour ago, Dave WM said:

I think I would rather try and install a 280zx, not sure how different from the Z but can't be any more of an effort than the vintage air kit. I think the ZX has a slightly larger evap and maybe could tie into the existing blower box? (this is for a 240z, if I had a 280z I would just try and find the parts for a 280z).

I think Redbird went with the vintage Air on her 280z

Yes, good idea. The zx evap is on the left. The profile is thinner which may help in fitting it behind the dashboard better. I've researched this before by tring to fit it inside a modified 280z evap case. Too tall as you can see. Probably a better idea is to get a zx evap case, I don't have one, Best to get a pre o-ring zx evap. The 79-81 i believe is flare fitting. I have the o-ring

version in pic.

ac-evap-280zx-280z.jpg

Edited by hr369

Here is the zx evap in the 280z box. I measured about 3" would have to be added to the height of the evap box. That's simple just cut the top off and splice in some black plastic with fiberglass.  However, there could be problems  with adding 3" to the height. ihave to take a look at some more pics of inside the dashboard to see what it would interfere with.

About 1/4" would also have to be added the width too. It's a bit too tight or you might be able to get away with removing a little bit of the foam rubber on each

side of the evap. 

You could also try using the 280zx evap case (last 2 pics)  in the 240z. Maybe better fitting ductwork?

choose files... zx1.jpg

zx2.jpg

zx3.jpg

zx4.jpg

zx5.jpg

280zx evap.jpg

280zx evap2.jpg

Edited by hr369