IGNORED

Advice lining up MSA exhaust on a 240?

siteunseen

Generic directions; 

Tools needed: 1/2" & 9/16" wrenches and/or sockets, small bottle jack.

Step 1, don't get in a hurry and rush the exhaust installation

Step 2, refer to step 1

I got excited and wanted to fire that little baby up!  I hastily installed it the easiest way which was using the top hole in the hanger straps.  Now I've gone back and using the bottle jack am able to tuck it tight up against the car.  The mid and S pipe flange is no longer the lowest point on my car.  :beer:

I was about to let the muffler guy do it but working on these cars is my hobby so taking it to someone is my last resort.  

Buddy the cat.jpg

• Like 1

I got that problem whipped but it whipped me too.  I've taken some pictures of a couple of things that made a big difference in getting it tight up against the underside of my car.  In my opinion the hangers are welded on facing the wrong way. Once I realized they were pulling it towards the passenger's side I was able to to correct that and that's when it lined up in the hump and tight against the differential.  I'll get those posted later today. Hopefully they may help somebody.

I feel like I just flew in from Albuquerque and boy are my arms sore. 8^)

The hanger on the front of the S pipe works better attached to the driver's side of the cars bracket, you can see where I had it on the other side before and that was pulling it towards the passengers side.

DSC01504.JPG

The hanger at the very back can be pushed up and held in place through the 2nd hole from the bottom, I cut the top 2 holes in the rubber off.  It pulled the chrome tip right up next to the cut out but it's not touching our rattling.

DSC01500.JPGDSC01501.JPG

Moving the hangers up as far as I could allowed the pipe to fit snug up against the crossmember with the hump cut out.  And further back, tight up against the moustache bar?? I don't know what that's called but it's at the rear of the differential.  

DSC01496.JPG

DSC01498.JPG

It's not perfect but damn close.  Saved me some money too. :D

DSC01495.JPG 

My dad always called them railroad jacks too.  He used to have several sets, though I think he sold them when he moved to Phoenix.

Exhaust looks great Cliff. Is that a R180 diff?  My R200 is bigger and has a square corner making the pipe fit that much tougher.