IGNORED

Advice lining up MSA exhaust on a 240?

siteunseen

Do you mean its not lining up with the hump spacing in the diff crossmember?

I have heard most people need to "tweak" the system to get it to line up right. I can find the thread or remember who it was, but someone here shortened his MSA system about 2" to get it to fit through the rear suspension properly. Can you post some photo's.

Yeah, I should have added a picture or two. 8^(

That's what it's not doing, going the 2.5" up into that hump.  It's very close to the ground and I've already scraped it a little bit.  I have to fix this.  I'll try looking with better eyes this morning and get some photos.

Everything else is perfect.

I don't have it up in the air but I see what I'm going to have to do.  I've got set up so the muffler tucks up in as best it can, but it won't scrape my driveway. :D

I'm going to move the muffler to get the inlet at it's highest point and pull that pipe over towards the driver's side into the hump.  That's the plan after reading this thread, 

The muffler will be opposite from this picture, the way it is now.  

DSC01420.JPG

Cliff.....I've found when installing the MSA Premium exhaust systems, it's always a good idea to take it to a reputable muffler shop to help "tuck it in" with their pipe bending equipment (just a few tweaks needed). They can make it lay right where you want it and can weld the hangers right where they are needed. Charges are minimal for what you get and for the fact that the system will probably be on the car for it's life. This is especially helpful on lowered Z cars.    IMO

Guy

• Like 2

I read through that other link and looked at the pictures and descriptions here and I get the impression that there are a variety of bends out there.  Some hit the diff, some hang too low, some are too high.  The specs must be wide.  

6 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

Cliff.....I've found when installing the MSA Premium exhaust systems, it's always a good idea to take it to a reputable muffler shop to help "tuck it in" with their pipe bending equipment (just a few tweaks needed). They can make it lay right where you want it and can weld the hangers right where they are needed. Charges are minimal for what you get and for the fact that the system will probably be on the car for it's life. This is especially helpful on lowered Z cars.    IMO

I agree with Guy.  A muffler shop can push the piping up inside your vehicle because they have the tools to do it.

I stayed under there as long as I could stand it, or actually as long as I could lay it. LOL

That "S" pipe needs bending and the flange that bolts it to the long tunnel pipe is what scrapes. It's the lowest point. I'm hoping he can cut the flange off and weld it right there.  I gotta guy. 8^)

Thank you all for your suggestions. Cliff