IGNORED

83 280zxt idles rough and backfires then dies when gas pedal is pushed.

Crazy477280Z

I recently had a problem getting a 83 turbo Z. It has a Crane Fireball ign. system, and I was thinking no start was related to a faulty component in this system. Turned out to be no power to CAS due to bad connection. As soon as I fixed this she started, and ran, athough not so great. I have installed new plugs, wires, rotor, dist. cap,and air filter along with oil change. Now she starts, and even idles decently except at around 1500 rpm instead of 750 rpm. When I actuate throttle, she backfires and dies when cold. If I let her warm up decently, and then hit throttle, she will still backfire,{ through exhaust} but she will stay running. I should also mention that gas tank had less than an eighth of a tank of stale gas in it. The original owner thought he would do me a favor and put 5 dollars in vehicle, which Iappreciatted. The only problem is that he didnt drain old gas, just added new gas to the stale stuff. I wouldnt think that this would cause a serious problem as Ime having. What do you guys think?Also, do you think this could be related to bad CAS? It has symptoms like a timng chain jumped, or some other timing problem. Is there a way to test CAS without an ocsilloscope or engine analyzer,as I have neither? Thanks to all members and guests for help in past. I love all my Z's, but we all know how tempermental they can be. Thanx again.

Yes the old gas could cause this problem. Although it sounds like an overly lean condition. The first thing is to get the old gas out of the system. The injectors might be clogged. Also you could have a large vacuum leak somewhere. Torn boot or broken pipe or vacuum line somewhere...

Ok, I will drain gas,recheck vacuum system, and make sure injectors are flowing correctly. Any advice on CAS being the culprit, CAS being the crank angle sensor. The reason Ime suspicious of this is the ECCS recievea a signal from crank sensor relting to where piston position is in each cylinder,so ECCS can fire injectors at proper time. I dont think this is happening correctly, which is why I want to know if there is a way to test it without an ocsilloscope.