IGNORED

280zx AC Compressor

ramsesosirus

Hello again all,

Making good progress on my 76 Z.  Everything is running smoothly, so I can address the "luxuries"... in this case, AC!  I've gone for years without AC, but it would be nice to have in the Z, since all the equipment is there and it gets pretty hot around here sometimes...

My car came with stock AC.  My donor motor is from a 280zx, and it included the AC compressor, which is installed on the engine.

The 280z hoses won't fit;  I've read that the inlet/outlet (suction/discharge) are switched on these?  I think they are different type of fittings?  Can I use some sort of adapter, or make some lines?   Also, anything else I need to know to get this working?  I've hooked up the blue wire to the compressor, and it does run.  Everything else in the AC system is the stock 1976 system.  I know I would have to "retrofit" to R134A, which involves some other work.  

Surely someone else has done this?

I'd like to have that option though, thanks!

A competent AC shop should be able to fab up the soft lines from the compressor to the condenser and evaporator. Some things to consider, if the system has been open for a long time, it may have rust issues. I recently got a condenser from a junk yard, it has pin leaks in it. The evaporator uses a serviceable expansion valve. That too was full of rust. The Evap while alum still had some corrosion looking white powerey looking gunk in it. I am in the process of refurbing these parts (lots of cleaning fluids). The condenser I have seen new on ebay, that is the route I would go. Look into getting a drier that is easy to find (the old orig style is not) and have your hard lines made to work with it OR maybe just run soft lines through out the engine bay. Pretty sure the orig uses a HIGH pressure cut off, I would see about sourcing a binary unit (HIGH/LOW) just because. Lastly while I understand that 134A is what is used, there are shops that can handle R12 and it works fine. I would even go out on the limb and say if a shop does R-12 they may be better at working on old cars! that's just something to consider.

R-12 is really a more efficient refrigerant too if not as environmentally friendly. It will be cheaper to not convert it. As for your existing pieces I agree find a competent AC shop in your area. It will save you money in the long run