IGNORED

5 speed tranny, any ideas?

I put a 5 speed, '77-tru? wide B, in my 240.  1st through 4th are great and then I tried 5th this morning.  Push in the clutch, goes into 5th nice and smooth, release the clutch and it pops out of 5th.  I don't know squat about transmissions so any ideas would be appreciated.  I know I'll have to carry it to my transmission guy and would like to kinda know what to tell him the reason may be.

Thanks all. :)

That aluminum flywheel has taken some getting used to but now I LOVE IT!!!  The motor revs so much quicker it reminds me of a motorcycle.  I'm banned from motors though so this is close enough.  Super high pitch sound like an aftermarket pipe on a crotch rocket.  

Hi Cliff. I have heard of the shaft nut coming loose, but I have never seen it happen (yet). Like Zed said, only way to fix that is to pull it apart. Before that I would go through a couple of easy checks first.

You are now running a 5 speed in your 240Z, so things can be a little different.

- Check the clearences around the selector. Its not hitting the tunnel etc. Wrong shape (S, no S bend) selector can cause problems. You have 72's (F4W71B) so it shouldn't be a problem, but shinning a torch up there will eliminate it.

- Is the console and leather boot giving it enough room and not pulling it back? Remeber, the engine can twist things around a bit under load or clutch engaging and that in turn can reduce clearences.

- Check the detent spring. Its the lower one of the three and easiest to check. I have seen one broken (not in a Zed transmission) and that can cause this too. The 5th hub clicks in and feels ok, but the detent is what holds it there. You can increase the tension with washer between the spring and cap.

It can even be a combination of things. Worn detent spring, console pushing the selector and then clutch engaging. Those checks shouldn't take more than an hour. After that, its pull the transmission.

Goodluck with it. 

Check_and_Interlock_Balls_Colour.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, EuroDat said:

Hi Cliff. I have heard of the shaft nut coming loose, but I have never seen it happen (yet). Like Zed said, only way to fix that is to pull it apart. Before that I would go through a couple of easy checks first.

You are now running a 5 speed in your 240Z, so things can be a little different.

- Check the clearences around the selector. Its not hitting the tunnel etc. Wrong shape (S, no S bend) selector can cause problems. You have 72's (F4W71B) so it shouldn't be a problem, but shinning a torch up there will eliminate it.

- Is the console and leather boot giving it enough room and not pulling it back? Remeber, the engine can twist things around a bit under load or clutch engaging and that in turn can reduce clearences.

- Check the detent spring. Its the lower one of the three and easiest to check. I have seen one broken (not in a Zed transmission) and that can cause this too. The 5th hub clicks in and feels ok, but the detent is what holds it there. You can increase the tension with washer between the spring and cap.

It can even be a combination of things. Worn detent spring, console pushing the selector and then clutch engaging. Those checks shouldn't take more than an hour. After that, its pull the transmission.

Goodluck with it. 

Check_and_Interlock_Balls_Colour.jpg

You may as well be speaking Chinese talking transmissions with me. LOL

I paid a guy to tear it apart and fix anything that looked suspect, he said it was in great shape so he'll be looking at it one day next week.  I haven't put the console back in yet so I've got the big hole and the shifter doesn't even come close to hitting the sheet metal. 

I'm seating the rings now and 4th gear is plenty so far.  I'm not sure of the gear ratios but this 5spd has a taller 4th gear in my opinion. 

It is sooooo nice to get in and crank it and go!  I love this car. :wub:

• Like 1

Not positive but I think that a loose/messed up shift fork can cause that also.  The roll pins break or come loose some times.  Still has to come out to fix it.

Does it feel different than the other gears when you move it in to gear?  I think that the loose nut and a loose fork might feel similar.  The coupling sleeve is not moving far enough to lock in to place.  Might be able to feel something by hand, engine off.  5th would feel mushy and incomplete.  Not clicky.

It firmly moves into 1-4 & reverse. 5th is a little soft but stays in until I release the clutch then it pops out. 

I'm going to find all my shift rods in a few minutes but the L shaped one is in my other 4 spd 240 as well as the 5 spd 280. I think I have a basterd shift rod from something and the 4 spds are shaped the same but the pin hole to the ball is a different length or depth.  Pretty sure I'll be carrying it to Caitlyn Jenner, the tranny guy. LOL