IGNORED

Modifying a '70-71 choke knob to fit a '72

sdyck

Well, my choke knob gave up the ghost after 40+ years of being yanked on. It snapped just above the set screw.  I saw that the '72-73 know was NLA but a new '70-71 was still available, different symbole, but I figured it would still fit.

No such luck, the hole in the knob that fits over the metal tang is too small. Has anyone tride to modigy the knob to fit?  The hole seems to be deep enough but either the width or the bredth of the hole would need to be filed to enlarge the hole to fit. My worry is that it needs to be a tight fit so as not to wobble, the set screw seems to do little more than hold the knob in place.

Has anyone tried this?  Any advice?

Thanks.

Steve   

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎10 at 1:36 PM, Namerow said:

Which of these styles did you buy?

S30 Console - Choke Control Knobs - variations.jpg

I bought the one on teh left for the 70-71 from my local Nissan dealer.  the 72-73 (the one I need) is no longer available.  Unfortunatly 240rubber parts only offers teh 70-71 as well.  

17 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

why not file down the metal choke tang instead? much easier

I thought about that, but it that part would be more costly to replace than the $10 knob if I mess it up.  I'm going to take a shot at filing/drilling/ dremmeling out the knob and will post my results.

Steve

Turns out Namerow and I had the same 70-71 knob so I went the modify route.

image.jpeg

Used a meatball dremal grinder bit to widen the width of slot, the base widens so the knob slots needs to be filed out. I widened it slowly so the fit remained tight. Also drilled the grub screw hole to 1/8"image.jpg

im very happy with the resultbut picture shows Lots of work to do on this interior :(

image.jpeg