IGNORED

plastic vs steel fan

I don't know on the fan. I suspect metal was original but plastic is safer

On the bolts most are yellow zinc but not all. Some are bright zinc like the door strike bolts and screws and the hatch screws.

The member here with the user name "careless" has meticulously done a car and has good documentation in his thread. Look through it. It will answer a lot of your questions

My Z is also an April '71 build and it came with a metal fan which went through the radiator around 1979 when the water pump failed.  I replaced it with a lighter weight metal flex fan and no clutch at the time, but now have a plastic fan and clutch

Dennis.

With the fan issue settled, your second question is about the finish on the various fasteners and clamps.  A general "rule of thumb" is that everything forward of the firewall has a yellow zinc or cadmium finish, everything aft of the firewall is white/clear zinc.  One exception to this is the fuel  cap, collar, and screws are all done in yellow zinc / cadmium.  I think the early cars (perhaps all) had clear zinc finish on the OE hose clamps.  I did all my OE hose clamps in yellow zinc for consistency under the hood.  Also, the fuel rail is yellow zinc / cadmium.

10 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

With the fan issue settled, your second question is about the finish on the various fasteners and clamps.  A general "rule of thumb" is that everything forward of the firewall has a yellow zinc or cadmium finish, everything aft of the firewall is white/clear zinc.  One exception to this is the fuel  cap, collar, and screws are all done in yellow zinc / cadmium.  I think the early cars (perhaps all) had clear zinc finish on the OE hose clamps.  I did all my OE hose clamps in yellow zinc for consistency under the hood.  Also, the fuel rail is yellow zinc / cadmium.

'Forward of the firewall = yellow zinc'...  What about the coil mounting bracket?  The three that I have are all clear zinc.

10 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Sorry.  Double post.

Edited by Namerow
double-post

2 hours ago, Namerow said:

'Forward of the firewall = yellow zinc'...  What about the coil mounting bracket?  The three that I have are all clear zinc.

Which is why I hedged my statement as a general rule of thumb.  I can't confirm the color of the coil bracket.  Another couple of examples are the  fuel filter bracket and the brake vac check valve clamp on the firewall - both finished in black.  Someone with a pure stock car such as AZ-240 would have to chime in with specifics if our OP wants to go with that level of detail.