IGNORED

ZCON 2016 - Toronto (Who is going?)

3 hours ago, Blue said:

My middle name is James... may  I join the club?

Won't be the only name we call you, but ok.

Winnipeg is actually worse then Regina. I'd heard the rumors but, geez, looks like it all needs a good power wash.

My apologies to all the "fiendly Manitoban's" ... . (You have to see their license plates to get that one...)

• Like 1

Anyone driving into to Ontario, there is a new law that came into effect this year, if you see any emergency vehicle on the side of the road (Cop, Ambulance, Tow truck...) you are now required by law to move over so there is an empty lane between you and them as you pass. That is on a major multi lane highway, if on a 2 lane road (one going each way) then slow down a hug the center line, give them as much room as you can. There has been a lot of fatalities of emergency workers in the last few years with drivers running into them while they are working. They have started ticketing this offence and I heard from our local Z club that there will be a blitz on for the next week or so where they will be actively looking for people not moving over. I don't know what the fine is but I'm sure it is a big one.

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips about the emergency vehicles. Some states here have that law, but I don't think anyone enforces it.

So what if you're boxed in and can't move to the left? Do they let you slide for that, or do you have to come to a complete stop and wait until you get a break in the other lane traffic and move over?

57 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

And also for any of you seasoned travelers...
And how about money exchange? If I want some Canadian money, should I get that on the US side, the Canadian side, or not bother at all?

I would get some Canadian cash flow before you go.  The type of establishment you are known to frequent will probably give you a even exchange. LOL

• Like 2

If you're driving an older Z, gassing up in Canada is good because the petrol is ethanol free according to http://www.pure-gas.org.

Also, contact your credit card company before you go to let them know you are traveling to Canada. That way it is less likely they will cut off your card when they see purchases across the border.

If you don't have a chance to exchange money before you cross the border, many hotels will do money exchanges. Also, many Tim Horton's in the GTA will take American money and give you change in Canadian along with a free dirty look. (At least they did a few years ago.)

8 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Thanks for the tips about the emergency vehicles. Some states here have that law, but I don't think anyone enforces it.

So what if you're boxed in and can't move to the left? Do they let you slide for that, or do you have to come to a complete stop and wait until you get a break in the other lane traffic and move over?

If traffic is bumper to bumper and all lanes filled in then moving over in your lane is all they can expect from you as everyone would be traveling slower anyway. It's the guys that blow past them doing 130kph with 2-3 ft to spare that they want to stop. Also, the stated speed limit of 100 kph (62mph) is ignored by virtually everyone, 120 kph (75mph) is the standard excepted speed, above that you risk a ticket.

Besides, that American licence plate will go a long way to getting you let off with a warning.

Exchanging your money at a bank will get you a fairer exchange rate then doing so at a retail store.

Waiters/waitresses, bartenders, cabbies live and die by tips, 15% min. is standard unless service is terrible.