IGNORED

Water pump options and where to get

deadflo

Hey folks,  I'm replacing my water pump in my 71 Z.
 Wow I have not been able to find a new pump with the old style "forged" impeller, vs the chinzier looking cut steel type. I can post pics if you don't know what I mean. I had parts guys here in Spokane try to find the older style, without luck. Ive seen pics of e forged ones on Ebay, but the sellers weren't if sure if that was the right pic.

So the question, anyone know if they're still available anywhere  OR

Do you think it even matters?I know there has been debate over this in the past.

I took the old pump off today, I'd like to get the new one on pretty quick, might just have to go with the steel one.

Whaddaya a think?

Oh also I have new bolts from motorsport Im gonna put on, what is the lubricant stuff to put on them so I can get them off ten years down the road? AND should I pout the gasketsealantsealent on both sides of the gasket? I It didn't really look like it was on both sides when I pulled old pump off, it was stuck to the pumpo, not the block.

I don't find any aisin pumps on amazon for 240Z . There is a cardone, with a picture of the good impeller, but Im not going to trust the picture. 

http://www.amazon.com/Cardone-Industries-57-1016-Engine-Water/dp/B008PEH07E/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1460072684&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=1971+datsun+240-Z+water+pump+Aisin

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1872184&cc=1209158&jsn=13

Don't think you will beat this price from a reputable seller.

Part Number: WPN013

Click "add to cart" on the page above---- then click on "continue shopping"

It will take you to the cart and show the pricing---$22.79

Edited by Zup
  • Like 2

I'm getting confused as to who actually supplied nissan for water pumps. All the ones i've ever taken off are Atsugi but others here say Aisin

and bonzai motorworks says GMB.    Can't go wrong with Bonzai and his price is good.

Bonzai motorworks

Edit:  i'm guessing all 3 were suppliers

Edited by hr369
  • Like 1

hr369,

My take on water pumps (in order of desirability):

Atsugi---not easy to find

Pauraut--not easy to find---but very good--it's what I've used on 2 cars

Aisin--plentiful and cheap with cast impeller

GMB---plentiful and cheaper, but I found the bearings are not very good for longevity.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Steve Jackson said:

Good to know these options. I'm gonna ask any vendor to confirm the forged impeller before I get one.
Has anyone actually had bad experiences with the ones that look rather flimsy?

The main functional difference between the steel and cast iron impellers is that with poor cooling system maintenance the steel one will disappear while the Iron one wont. If your cooling system is maintained then there is nothing to worry about with using the steel one.

But... there are pages and pages of debate about which is better.  My own personal experience is good with the japanese made pumps  that are stamped steel  and cast.

I've got an Aisin  with stamped impellers on my MX83 toyota that has 160k miles on it. I pulled it out to replace it and the impellers looked brand new and there was no shaft play so i just put it back on with a new gasket.

Edited by hr369
  • Like 1

I have seen the stamped steel impellers come loose on lots of water pumps however the worst case was on a Cummins diesel powered  deuce and a half in Iraq with a bake-lite impeller that was shattered completely and took me 6 hours to fish the pieces from the cooling system. I  never understood how Cummins ever released a water pump with that kind of impeller on a combat vehicle.