IGNORED

Just got a 280z for free

66corvair

Just got a 280z for free as the title states. Man, it's hammered!!

Quite a bit of rust on the floorboards but the frame seems in decent shape. According to what I could find out it was last running in '06 when it hit an approach so i'll have to take  alook but initially crawiling under doesn't seem that bad. Also it seems to have had the key snapped off in the ignition and subsequently hotwired. Why they decided to hotwire i'm not sure because I was able to just use a screwdriver to turn the ignition as the key blade was still in it haha!

The starter has wired on it and I was able to turn it over by connecting those two so the engine is free. I can't figure out their wiring situation so I wasn't able to turn the fuel pump on or get power to the coil but I plan to contact him tonight and try to figure it out. Does anyone have experience with steering column wire? There's three wires hanging down, a Red/white, a Red/yellow, and a Black. Black i assume is ground and is called out in pictures. No fuses seem blown. There are two red wires farther back but those run directly to the starter so I know what those are for.

Also when turning it over I was hearing a "squeaking/squealing". I disconnected the acc. belt but it still persisted. Is that a bad main bearing? If it got parked because of hitting an approach wouldn't that mean it ran when it was parked? It hasn't run in 10 years so maybe the main bearings are super duper dry from sitting? I cranked it over for quite a bit trying to build some oil pressure but kept hearing the squeak. I could do a compresion test but that won't tell me anything about the mains.

Pics are the car itself and the hotwire job. Would this be better moved to the electrical forum?

IMG_7094.JPG

IMG_7305.JPG

IMG_7307.JPG

IMG_7309.JPG

Edited by 66corvair
updated pictures.

Welcome to the Forum. There is a ton of great information here along with some great folks.

Before you go further, One thread I suggest you read is 

Great suggestions from Carl Beck on how to bring the engine back to life. I'm guessing your car is EFI so the carb stuff may not apply, but the fuel stuff and the rest will.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

1 hour ago, 66corvair said:

I'm not even sure if this car is worth saving, I might just sell it for parts but I really don't want to!

You won't know if it's worth saving until you have a plan for what you want.  The one picture of the body doesn't look too bad.

What is an "approach"?  Must be an ND word?

Actually can't find a picture, thought it was a universal thing. It's smaller turnoffs on gravel roads or highways. Like turnoffs to fields. Basically the ditch comes up to meet the level of the road. So, say you're going way too fast and end up in the ditch. if you hit an approach at speed you're going to have a bad day. Pic related kind of, hard to make out with the grass.

Interior is completely shot on the car however. The floor pans are almost completely rusted out, seats are busted, dash is ruined, etc.

Capture.PNG