IGNORED

Header/Intake Manifold Gasket- which to use?

blodi

Going to be installing my L28 in the next couple weeks as detailed in my other thread, but wanted to get a consensus (or at least opinions) on what gasket to use for the header and intake. 

I have a new 6-1 MSA coated header going on. It came with the MSA gasket. I also ordered an OEM Nissan gasket with the metal portions for the exhaust. 

MSA states that the header will leak with the OEM gasket on their site. Others say that the MSA gaskets are crap and use the OEM one. I did find one thread though that mentions that MSA possibly upgraded their gaskets in 2005 or so. So maybe the newer gaskets are ok? 

If I do use the OEM gasket...which side goes where? The metal on each side is different.  What have you guys done on yours with headers and what has been the outcome?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, siteunseen said:

12 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Lay the Nissan next to the MSA and make your decision. Sarcastic smiley.

Also the studs and nuts. You can buy those at a hardware store. Google "conical exhaust manifold stud nuts". FWIW

Yeah, I see what you mean. The nissan one does look like a more robust material. I did get the full MSA stud/hardware kit to mount the intake/header so I'd have all new stuff. 

9 hours ago, Chickenman said:

Permatex Ultra Copper also works very well for sealing exhaust flanges and gaskets. About the only thing that will live on Turbocharger flanges other than V-Bands.

Use the Nissan factory gasket.

Good! I have some of that. I'll give it a quick spray before install. 

13 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I have always put the thick shiny metal side of the gasket towards the header since it isn't water cooled like the head.

Also if the header flange doesn't look like it was machined flat a smear of Permatex ultra black on contact surfaces always helps.

Chris

Thanks! That clears that up. 

I've had to replace mine several times on the race car. I have a Hooker header and use a FelPro gasket. It always leaked so I go some high temp sealer. I think it's the Permatex Ultra Copper. It dries red and works great!

Chuck

The Nissan Motorsports gasket worked extremely well in my years of racing.  Its the one that has "Garlock" printed on it.  Probably NLA.  Next best is the OEM Nissan part and Permatex Ultra Copper helps a lot.  Back in 1998 a group of racers ponied up and had a run of copper gaskets water jet cut.  I had one and it work perfectly and was completely reusable.  It went with a race engine I sold in 2004.

Edited by John Coffey