IGNORED

280Z Kick panel speaker pods in development.

Derek

Hi everyone. Over the years I’ve gotten quite a few requests for kick panel speaker pods for the 280Z. What was holding me back was uninterrupted access to a 280 for measuring and fitting. I finally found one that was close enough and cheap enough for me to buy. One thing that is very apparent is there isn’t a lot of room to work with. Especially on the drivers side.At this point I’ve completed a working prototype for the drivers side and wanted to get input from interested buyers as to the layout on the passengers side. 

The bad news is there really isn’t any room for a high end 5 1/4” speaker. I designed it around these Pyle PLS502 slim speakers. http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLSL502/525-160-Watt-Slim-Mount-Two-Way-Coaxial-Speakers   I also believe the retro sound R525N will fit as well. There is 1.9” available right now for top mount clearance. Most of the higher end speakers require 2 3/16” and that’s not going to work.  I found a few models that had a 1 7/8” top mount clearance. The tricky part is how far the grill sticks out beyond the speaker. None of the manufacturers listed grill height.

Here is a few shots of the drivers side. Keep in mind this is a rough prototype and the cuts are crude.  I have the speaker as far up and as far back as I can get it. There is reasonable room to get your foot over to the dead pedal. It may take a bit of retraining but it’s doable.

IMG_0884_zpsug4mhnqo.jpg

Clutch pedal just clears grill.

IMG_0885_zpsa511rhwy.jpg

Dead pedal is accessible. 

IMG_0886_zpsa4qdqxoc.jpg

Remember the cuts are really rough on the prototype.

IMG_0887_zpstnnxladd.jpg

Before I start the passengers side I wanted some input as to whether to angle the speaker to improve acoustics or keep it flat to match the drivers side. And how to handle fuse box access.  

The pricing should be around $100.00 - 125.00 for the pair. The CNC router work is much more complicated than my regular panels requiring multiple setups.

So if you think you may be in the market for a set and want to have some input either PM me or email me at kick@red240.com.

Thanks

Derek

Edit: You can post here as well. It doesn't have to be a PM. 

Edited by Derek

My Pathfinder has tweeters in the windshield pillars and mid-range/bass overhead, behind the front seats, along with door panel speakers pointed under the knees.  Excellent sound.  My 280Z has two speakers behind the seats pointed straight up.  Sounds like there's a small band behind me playing.  Excellent sound, very clear.  

Is a speaker under the dash, pointed at the driver's legs a good spot?  Seems like direction, along with muffling from the legs, might render it less effective.  I wonder if there are better places.  Just asking, don't want to be a buzz-kill.

Well this is more in line with the speaker pods I sell for the early version. Not aspiring to be the best audio solution just the easiest for most people. I have 6X9's in the rear and the addition of the 5 1/4" up front made a huge difference on my 73. 

You did ask about acoustics.  I know that high frequency is very directional, so anything that points directly at the ears is good for the high notes.  

The passenger side should be interesting, since it's basically just a black piece of cardboard with a hole in it for the fuse box.  You could probably sell just a better plastic panel, forget about the speaker.  My cardboard panel has water-soaked swelled edges and is in poor shape.

Good luck.  Has anyone driven the car with the pod shown?  Seems like big feet might have an issue.

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

Good luck.  Has anyone driven the car with the pod shown?  Seems like big feet might have an issue.

No But I sat in the seat and made Vroom Vroom noises while I worked the clutch pedal:)

There is no motor in the car but I have prior experience with my other pod designs. It's tight but workable with my size 10 1/2 work boots. Really if you are any kind of audiophile you really should be building custom enclosures not buying vacu-formed ABS. The problem is there just isn't a lot of room to work with. 

• 4 months later...

Panels are now in production.

IMG_1109_zpsm0bgx5qk.jpg

Well they will be on Monday:)

These things were a PIA to make work. Although it seemed like a simple concept to me when I started it really wasn't. There is a lot of things to have happen in a very small area. 

Drivers side mimics the existing ECU cover and uses it's mounting screws.

IMG_1119_zpshovqs6zc.jpg

Good space to get to the dead pedal but you may have to adjust your driving style to get to it.

IMG_1118_zpsdpwxpwma.jpg

Passengers side mounts using the existing upper trim screw and a piece of industrial velcro attached to whatever the black control box is above it.

IMG_1113_zpsf3rbdggg.jpg

To get to the fuse box you loosen the trim screw, pull the panel away from the velcro and slide it out. The screw hole is slotted so you don't have to remove the screw. If this seems like a lot of work to change a fuse you probably should fix what's blowing your fuses before buying speaker panels!

IMG_1115_zpsydcgjeml.jpg

Here is a small sample of the scrap I made getting the fit, the vacuum forming and the CNC routing worked out. 

IMG_1108_zpssdvuvjyd.jpg

Now for the fine print.

Price is $115.00 plus shipping for the pair.

Right now I'm only saying they fit a 77 for sure as that is what I have here. I've lined up a 78 for testing. I'm looking for people with a 75 and 76 to test fit as well. So if you have a 77 you're good to go if you have a 75 or 76 and want to participate in my testing program PM me. I looked at pictures on line of the different year interiors and they all look the same to me. 

The clutch pedal is really really close to the grill. There may be cars where you have to dent the grill a little up front at the top so be prepared for that. I was more interested in keeping the dead pedal as clear as possible.

There is 2" of clearance from the mounting lip to the ECU for speaker depth. You may be able to do a deeper speaker with a spacer ring and some grill mods but I'm not making any claims to that. The Pyle PLS502 fits as it is.

PM me if you are interested in a set.

Thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek
  • Like 2

Very nice job on those panels. I have 5" speakers that I would like to fit in there but I would have to measure their depth. I suppose 5" diameter will fit, right?

Also, can you show us a couple of pics of driver and passenger sides from a bit further out?

Thanks

I imagine they would fit but as you said the depth is the deciding factor.

I'll get some more pics tomorrow. Keep in mind the next stop for the car is the scrapper so they won't be pretty:)

Derek

View from the drivers side. Holding the camera low as if it's at eye line they are kind of hidden behind the trim panel.

IMG_1135_zpsgqy7vwuv.jpg

And the passengers side.

IMG_1138_zpsldkzmx5p.jpg

They kind of stand out as they are the nicest part of that ratty interior. On a decent car they would blend in.

• Like 1

I think those look really good, Derek. They should blend in and look OEM in a nicer car. I will measure the depth of my speakers when I get back in early July and hope I have enough clearance. If I do, I will definitely buy a set of pods from you. Nice work.

Just picked up Derek's 280Z speaker panels. I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the product. The finish is excellent and looks factory made. Shipping was very fast and well packaged.

Will do the initial install tomorrow on my 1976 280z and report back on fitting.

I am waiting on my speakers to arrive ( Pyle PLSL502 Shallow speakers ) , and they should be here next Wednesday. Meanwhile the installation and picture I take tomorrow should show up any issues with installs on 1975 and 1976 models. I can also take measurements to see exactly how much space is available. BTW,  my car has factory A/C, not that I think that will make a difference to the install..

To be continued...