IGNORED

1979 280z

kcard

Hi

I have a 1979 datsun 280 z, when i got this they welded the rear end which i don't like. My question is what year car can i get the rear 5 lug hub and rear differential off of that will bolt up to my 1979 datsun that had the 4 lug. Thanks

Pretty sure that you already posted about this, here or somewhere else.  These cars have independent rear suspension.  The differential and wheel hubs are separate.  Posted a picture.  The center arrow points at the differential. the outer arrow at the wheel.  You can see the u-joints on the two drive shafts.

The short answer is nowhere.  You'll have to get custom axles or drill the ones you have.  The diff is a completely separate issue from how many lugs the hubs have.

1979 ZX Rear.PNG

If you are talking about the spider gears in your R200 differential being welded, then any R200 differential will fit, but know that the  '79-'83 280ZX (non turbo, non automatic) diffy ratio was 3:90, and the others from  '75-'78 280Zs are 3:54. As far as bolting up your half shafts to the stub axles, the stubs can be pried out of the diffy with two big screwdrivers and placed in the replacement diffy if the stubs are different.

Cheers, Mike

Some of the 79's came with R180's.  That's actually one in the picture I posted.  And 1979 apparently has a whole range of differential options, from 3.36 to 3.7, in R180 or R200 form.  Plus, just to make it more interesting, 1979 still had the 3.321 1st gear 5 speed, not the later 3.062 1st, so a 3.54 would work best, IF it has the 1979 5 speed.  But if the diff is welded who knows what else has been done.

The OP asked this question quite a while ago on a different forum and I gave the same answer.  But he/she hasn't even looked under their car yet.  Maybe never even went back to the forum they posted on.

yah i posted in another forum didn't really answer my question. I bought a rat rod and it has a 1979 280z rear in it. I wanted to switch the differential out cause they are welded and i can't find another 79. Second issue it is 4 lug just trying to make it 5 lug seeing if i can switch it out for a newer  300zx or something like that that does have a 5 lug. something that would just bolt up to all my mounts that i have. the same measurements and a 1979 280z. I came here cause i don't know to much about the z car.

yah, you never responded to the other post.  Like you didn't read it.  Have you looked at the parts yet?  And is it actually a 1979 280ZX, or is it a 280Z with a 1979 differential?  You said 1979 280Z, which is not an option.  Not clear if you're relaying what somebody told you or if you know what you have.

There are some details that you'll have to get in to.  It's not just four big bolts and some heavy lifting like an old US car or truck.

Take some pictures and post them.  Good luck.