IGNORED

Steering rod removal

siteunseen

The last time I put an engine with the header already on I removed the steering rod in the engine bay, it was easier going in but a pain getting the rod bolted back up.  I want to install the header beforehand.

If I have someone push the motor towards the passenger's side on the way down would the header clear the steering rod okay? 

I'm trying to figure this out so it's as easy as possible without having too many people helping, they make me very nervous.

what's the reason for keeping the header on? i've always found putting the header on inside the engine bay pretty easy - provided you have a decent U-Joint for your socket set along with the right length extensions. i wrap the U-joint in electrical tape, which keeps it stiff enough so the socket doesn't flop around (easier to "find" hidden stud nuts) but still allows it to flex/do its job.

i haven't personally removed a steering rod, but i did replace the rubber insulator disc and found that to be a pita so given the choice i'd deal w/the header...

i commandeered a couple of large bath towels that i fold up triple thickness the long way and put on top of the fenders when i work on the car - in addition to avoiding scratches/chips, it also spreads the load a bit to avoid dents. i'm careful NOT to cover up the access hatches though, as they are way too delicate...