IGNORED

[2016] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

19 hours ago, Lumens said:

Have not turned on the Z radio for at least 25 years. Ruins the sound of my Mikunis and my exhaust note!

I'm with you on that. Music just doesn't sound as good when we get a little older.

When I was younger and had squeaky brakes or belts I'd crank the stereo up to fix them LOL

Now I actually put new pads on or new belts but I used to spend a paycheck on sunglasses, get drunk and jump off the boat to take a leak. Sunglasses don't float. 8^(

• Like 1

Booked the dyno for the final tuning of my new engine!!!  

Runs great as it is but a good tune can make it even better I hope.

25 this month is the date when it will be done! 

Damn I hope the dyno guy finds some hidden ponys : )

Jim

Was the trans exhibiting any symptoms that might be improved with different oil? I'm still trying to figure out if I needed to change my synchros back in 75 or just change brands of gear oil. I'm leaning more toward the oil as time goes by.

11 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Jim

Was the trans exhibiting any symptoms that might be improved with different oil? I'm still trying to figure out if I needed to change my synchros back in 75 or just change brands of gear oil. I'm leaning more toward the oil as time goes by.

Hi Mark - No real issues with the transmission other than some occasional balkiness on 3-2 downshifts.  Its the OE Type A gearbox with 96k miles on it, including several years of AX back in the 70's.  I just figured anything that might extend the life of the internals is worth a try.

Charles - miles are slow to accumulate on my little garage queen, especially now in our TX summer heat.  I'll post some feedback when it seems to make sense.

Jim

I put Nissan preformed hoses from the float chamber to the nozzle on my red 240 I'm getting ready to sale. Someone had put hard parts store fuel line on there. Adjusted the carbs and advanced the timing. Holy guacamole what a difference!  Runs so much stronger and now have 100% operating SUs.  The nozzle weren't dropping before today.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:39 PM, Patcon said:

get us an opinion when you've put a few miles on it...

Charles---

Had a notchiness in 1 to 2 shifts on my low mileage trans.

Decided to try Royal Purple as that was all I could find as "upgrade" locally.

No change.

Changed to Redline after ordering it from online as it was the one that was supposedly much better.

No change.

Enter A/C Delco Friction Modified-----kaaaazzing-----we have a winner!!

~$32.00 for three quarts----some of the best "bang for the buck" money I've spent on the Z. Notchiness is gone --all shifts are much smoother.

Spend the money on it and be done with it for years to come-----enjoy the benefit with every shift!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AAAA++++

Miss ya!

Jim D.

"Zup"

• Like 2

Dyno tuning has been done!

had almost the "perfect" settings in timing and carbs.

We had to changed the air jets to 160 instead of 155 to make it a bit leaner. That made a difference as it now makes power all the way to 6800 rpms before it flattens and dropps at 7100.

Now to the Sad part. Something made the dyno read to much horsepower (366 engine hp) when i let of the gas at 7000 rpms (to much resistance said the dyno guy) could depend on bad bushings or something else?? Don't know?? He dident either.

Problem only occurred when I let of between 7000-5500 rpms after that it was normal.

But I will have a go at another dyno this week or next. A dyno that connects to the hubbs this time (No rollers), that should give me some numbers.

So now to what he calculated the hp to. And this is just what he estimated it to with the data that was accurate. Around 220-240 Engine hp.

Well we will know in a week or two.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Mike locked this topic