IGNORED

Motor goes clunk (again)

Kurbycar32

Some of you may remember that I bought a hot Rebello motor for my early 260z and when I first started it there was a clunking sound.  Luckily that problem ended up being a clutch slave cylinder bolt that was too long and it was resolved pretty easily.  Since then I put about 200 miles on the new motor and its been reliable.  Yesterday I went to my garage to start the car for work and after running for about a minute there was a horrific clunking sound so I shut it down immediately and took the truck to work.  Its been cold (for the middle of California) in the low 30's (about 0 Celsius) but in the garage I estimate the temp to be in the mid 40's.  After work I took out all of the spark plugs and rotated the motor by hand to see if i could feel/hear any interference and the motor spun nicely.  With the spark plugs still removed I cranked the motor with the starter and still everything ran smooth.  After consulting with the elders I put new plugs in the car and attempted to start it again, this time on video.  As you can see the car starts and runs for about 30 seconds at about 1100 RPM before the noise kicks in.  What should I be looking for?

Edited by Kurbycar32

That's weird. I would have expected it to relate to engine speed. It seems to be random. Just to rule one thing out, you don't have a "friend" in the garage who is a practical joker, right? I think you're going to have to trace it by the sound which sucks because you don't know if or how much damage is being done. Maybe a helper on each side to figure out where it's coming from ie; left-right, front-back, top-bottom. I often use a 4' section of garden hose as a stethoscope to reach difficult areas. 

12 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Doesn't the fan turn on y'alls car all the time? His isn't turning. Water pump or something is keeping it from turning in the video.

You're right, it sits still then starts moving, then there's the noise, and it stops.  Starts moving at 43.  Maybe pull the belt for a test.

The air filter is metallic.  You might pull those and see if the noise gets louder or goes away.  Noise will come back through the intake manifold faster than the air going in.

Edited by Zed Head

i'm betting the farm on it being related to the fan - is it hitting the shroud? i'm guessing the fan clutch is needing some fluid or otherwise worn, as perhaps it is slipping completely when cold, then starting to spin once it warms up a bit.

on another note, it seems like your motor is a bit hard starting - are you using the choke?

I agree with Zed. Watch the video, observing the fan. With a cold engine, our fans clutches should have enough drag to spin the fan. Your fans only moves one or two blades for 42 seconds, and then starts revving up to speed immediately before the clanking starts.