IGNORED

Anyone near Alvarado Texas and I-35 Truck & Auto Parts?

wheee!

So, the wreckers in Alvarado Texas won't ship me the gas tank I need... :(

Anyone know someone in Texas near Alvarado that could look at it and perhaps perform a little third party transaction? They say it's rusted inside, but as long as it is not damaged, and no holes, it could still be salvaged maybe...

post-29917-0-09031600-1449027720_thumb.j

Thanks guys!

...or even better, does someone HAVE a 1976 gas tank they are not using that I could buy? Mine is pretty banged up.

post-29917-0-09286400-1447951682_thumb.j

Edited by wheee!

Im looking, more like lurking, because I can't help you any. Frustrating that the other end won't send it. Did they give a reason why?

I had a guy in Australia wouldn't send me an air dam. He was convinced it would get damaged on the way to europe and he didn't won't the hassle and risk to his reputation. I ended up buying from MSA. The box was beaten up a bit, but the air dam was in good condition.

Is your tank that bad. Maybe you can get it boiled and checked for leaks and then treated. I have seen someone here cut a 240Z tank open to clean and repair it from the inside.

If you are planning to get another one, you can try anything on this one. You never know, you might rescue it.

Im looking, more like lurking, because I can't help you any. Frustrating that the other end won't send it. Did they give a reason why?

I had a guy in Australia wouldn't send me an air dam. He was convinced it would get damaged on the way to europe and he didn't won't the hassle and risk to his reputation. I ended up buying from MSA. The box was beaten up a bit, but the air dam was in good condition.

Is your tank that bad. Maybe you can get it boiled and checked for leaks and then treated. I have seen someone here cut a 240Z tank open to clean and repair it from the inside.

If you are planning to get another one, you can try anything on this one. You never know, you might rescue it.

They don't want the hassle with a rusted part being shipped. They are just not interested in selling it to me when they can sell it local.

Your old gas tank can probably be restored to as good as new. Contact these people: http://www.gastankrenu.com/

Again, the issue here is overall cost. My tank is not leaking or unuseable, just damaged and dented. Sending it away for repair or buying a new one is really cost prohibitive versus a second hand one in good shape that I can seal and refinish myself.

You can still separate it. I don't think it will change much. I routinely separate seams that have tighter contours than that. Lightly dress the seam with a flapper wheel or a 2" rolock and all the spot welds will show up. Drill through halfway, all the way or use a plasma cutter to blow the weld out. Use a panel knife, 5 way or a thin stiff chisel and split the seams. When you get close to the damage you will still be able to work your way around the damaged seam. then dolly and flatten. Clean the halves and reassemble..