IGNORED

Problems leveling my 240z

Darren Mann

History on the 1971 late model 240z is really unkown prior to 1986.  My father and I found the car in a garage and it had been sitting for a long time.  My father bought it and began to restore it when 17 years ago he was removing the shifter from a parts z and it fell on him.  He hadn't told me he was finishing the restoration as a surprise to me.  It's taken me that much time to get my life to a point I could finish his project.  I've been working on it every spare moment I can since labor day.  He had the body work completed, a new crate motor installed and many parts purchased.  It's been difficult not having him with me to finish this project but I know he's watching and giving me inspiration.  I keep hearing him tell me nothing's worth doing if you don't do it right.  He was a perfectist at heart and I'm trying to do this to his specs.  I do seem to recall the previous owner saying it had been in an accident but not sure to what degree. The front right frame member seems to be a bit out of position when I was putting the grill in place.  I will try to post more pictures soon.  I appreciate all your help.  Thank you.

Since no one else has mentioned it, have you verified the struts are not frozen? Lean on each corner like you were checking a shock absorber.

When I bought my Z 3 years ago, I drove it to Florida from Ohio only to discover all 4 struts were frozen solid. The only suspension I had for the 1000+ mile trip was the 28psi air in the tires.

If your car had been stored on jack stands for any length of time, one of the struts could have frozen fully extended.

Edited by djwarner

Sorry for the sad story, I didn't expect that.

Looking at your latest pictures, it looks like the driver side hangs lower than the passenger, which follows from the original pictures.  Assuming that the struts extend to the same length, that implies that the insulator is too tall. Assuming that it's intact, they do fall apart.

Here are some pictures I stole from MSA.  The 280Z's is taller by about an inch apparently.  One thing I didn't see mentioned is that when you lower the car back down after lifting, the wheels are held in by the ground and hold the body up until you roll the car back and forth to let them spread back out.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/23-4370

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/23-4382

post-19298-0-91261200-1448842297_thumb.p

post-19298-0-66190300-1448842313_thumb.p

So you are thinking the insulators are bad?  They seemed very solid and in good shape visually when I changed the struts.  No cracks and still pliable.  The wheels spread out when lowered without rolling.  Maybe due to my slick floors.  After looking at other z's photos it almost appears that mine is taller on the driver side than most, like the whole rear end is twisted by an inch.  I'd be interested in hearing from others with Eibach springs from msa as to what they had for tire clearance after installing these springs.  If it is an inch high on one side and an inch low on the other that would explain my 2" difference, yes?  I may go measure the rear bracket on the link mount brace on the parts z to see if it was welded properly or it's usable but I'm sure leaning towards the frame being twisted in the rear. 

No, I'm suggesting that somebody mixed 240Z and 280Z insulators on the back struts.  If you did one strut at a time you might have missed the height difference.

The wheels do not spread out as far as they will after rolling.  You have to roll the car to get it down to ride height.  Everybody does.

There is no real frame on the car.  It's a sheet steel box with frame elements attached.  It's called a unibody, or monocoque chassis.  You can't bend it or twist  without having big problems like door gaps closing or opening and fenders not fitting.

Edit - just saw your reply.  I showed 280Z, not ZX, just to be clear.  Regardless, it still looks like the driver's side is hanging lower.  It shouldn't since the shock shafts extend the same distance.  Measure the distance with the tire hanging and see if you have the same 2 1/2" difference.  If you dom, that takes some of the potential away from the springs, since they're not doing anything when the tire is hanging.

Hope I'm not being too blunt, just trying to get some thoughts across.

Edited by Zed Head

Yes I was told if it is a bent frame/body to expect even cracks in the paint upon straightening.  Not a good time to find this out but nothing is working that I have tried.  I hope I'm not right.  Maybe I could just use a 280zx insulator on that low side to lift it ;) 

I believe Zed is suggesting that the rear insulators are mismatched. If you had one off a 280z and one off a 240z it would make the rear sit funny. I would be surprised if the chassis were twisted that much. The amounts it would take to make a car sit out of level 1"-1 1/2" in the width of the car are huge. I would think if the chassis were that bad there would be panel alignment problems, broken glass and doors that were hard to operate. FWIW I rebuild salvage cars so I have seen and pulled multiple wrecked cars.

Someone made the suggestion to have a frame shop look at it. I think that is an excellent idea! It would be relatively cheap to have it looked at, plus if you know it has been in an accident you would know if its been repaired properly. A poorly repaired car can "crab" and wear tires badly along with other more serious things...