IGNORED

Where's that thread with 280Z CAD model ?

Stanley

The one by a member in Russia. Has a nifty super-detailed model. Spent an hour looking here and on google, can't find it anywhere.

Bought me a new CAD, Viacad pro, got 30% off for BF. Probably not good enough to open the model he posted, but worth a try. Want to try to CAD some freaky headers, mostly as a learning experience.

Thanks, couldn't remember S30 in 3D. I think my new CAD imports solidworks, will see if it works when the DVD gets here. Not a student, so can't get Solidworks educational, full version not in my budget. I use free 2D version of Solid Edge for drafting, but the full version with 3D is like 5 thou. SketchUp 3D Warehouse also has a bunch of Z cars, not sure if they have engines and can be edited.

As I recall, someone posted they were working on the engine, in the s30 in 3D thread. To do the headers, would need an engine bay with frame, steering and brakes stuff, and engine with SU's, first.  Don't think it ever got that far along.

Interesting that you mention using Solid Edge, that's the main cad modeling program I use. It was motorman7 that was working on the engine model, in Solidworks I believe. He did some very nice work.

The main problem with the free cad models available on the web is that they are generally surface models with no inner detail, and they can be quite difficult to convert to solids.

It would be great to see a collaborative effort on our site to create and share both 2D & 3D cad work related to the S30, maybe we should add a section in the downloads area for this.

Mike

I haven't seen any other CAD models with as much detail, but I guess all automakers do the whole car in CAD/CAM nowadays. Drawing something that looks like a car is nothing like building a car with CAD, like this.

I'd also like having a CAD section on this site. According to the last post in "S30 in 3D" the links have expired, although The 40 minute video on YouTube is still there. I just read through all ten pages; the main thing I learned is how much I don't know. But the model is pretty far along. Looks like the hardest parts are already done. Motorman7's engine looks good. The dimensioned 2D drawings in post #141 are very helpful. Also, FSM has a lot of drawings that could be dropped into 2D cad, pulled out to a convenient reference like wheelbase and traced. I say let's finish it up !

Not much experience in 3D, except SketchUp. I bought the new CAD for detailing structural steel connections, but this seems like way more fun.