IGNORED

Sometimes you have to rotate your thinking. Trans install problem.

zKars

So today for the ump-teen'th time, I find myself putting a 5 speed on a L6 block on the shop floor. Usually goes pretty smooth. I use an old trans input shaft as a clutch disk alignment tool, really helps to get the splines lined up perfect. I hate those plastic POS things that come with clutch kits. Just not close enough. A set of wheels at just the right height under the trans tail to take the weight, SCHLOOOP on she goes. Usually......

But today being a full moon and all, and me being alone, I guess the planets don't line up and neither did my transmission with the splines and pilot bushing. After a couple of hours of cursing and sweating I gave up had to resort to a different plan.

I have the luxury of an overhead hoist, so I re-oriented my chains to the rear of the block and put the motor on its nose. Added a couple of stabilizing out-riggers to the engine mount brackets for safety and secuity. Remember to drain the oil too or leave the dizzy, fuel pump and valve cover on or you'll be rust proofing the shop floor. Coolant too.. This one's fresh'ish so, no fluids yet.

Gave my tranny a big hug and dropped it straight on the engine. Still took a bit of wiggling and twistin, but suddenly, POOP, on it went. Problem solved.

post-11371-0-41400300-1448561077_thumb.j

As if the previous morning's 'joy' wasn't enough, I decided to spin the crank bolt and watch the old driveshaft yoke I have poked in the tranny end rotate to prove the job is complete (and the clutch is engaged, ie I picked the right release sleeve, but I digress... ). So I put the 27mm socket on the crank and spin away. drive shaft does move. oh oh. ok, out of gear. Move the stick shifter into gear. Rachet crank again. still no rotating of the output. WTF....

So it turns out that you can in fact put the driveshaft yoke into the transmission too far. I was at one point hammering the end of the yoke to 'help' the trans mate with the block, and in so doing, I pushed it in so far it got past the splines.

Just another silly lesson learned to share. Happy trans swapping.

Oh, and who's free tomorrow AM for an engine insertion? I can do it myself, but that's just not wise. Not with the full moon and all....

Edited by zKars

I was at one point hammering the end of the yoke to 'help' the trans mate with the block, and in so doing, I pushed it in so far it got past the splines.

Cringe...not a good idea IMHO. Roller bearings inside tranny's don't like shock loads like that. Yoke would have bottomed on main shaft and transmitted all those Hammer blows directly to the tranny main shaft bearings  :(

Check the tail shaft seal as well. It could have been damaged.

Edited by Chickenman