IGNORED

Wood gear shift knob

87mj

I have owned a '72 and a '73.  Both had wood gearshift knobs.  I have seen factory '71s and '72's that didn't and I have seen them that did. I don't think I have ever seen a '73 without a wood knob.

Mine does not have a wood gear shift knob but I believe it is factory.  Does anyone know what "options" package if there were any, that caused a car to ship with the wood gearshift knob?  It drives me nuts that I don't have one and the thought of aftermarket gives me headaches.

The wood gear shift knob was standard equipment on the early cars. It was NOT an option. You can still buy the wood knobs from Nissan, I believe, but they are new production and somewhat different in wood grain than the 1970s originals. There are threads discussing them in the message archive.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

My car came with a black leather Datsun Shift Knob, I asked the previous owner if he had the Original wooded one too, he said that was the Original one and it had never had a wooden one, I've now put an OEM wooden one on as I prefer it

post-30070-0-03708700-1448618114_thumb.p

post-30070-0-68944900-1448618170_thumb.p

Edited by Red7

Reading the chart, the Applied Model for the skin knob is "OP 4 Speed". What does OP 4 speed mean?

Another question about the leather knob some have observed: What emblem does it have - same 4 speed pattern plastic insert as the wood knob or something else?

Dennis

Applied model says "OP 4speed" is that how other optional equipment is called out on the parts diagrams?

Looks like we both had the same question. If OP designates Optional, was it a dealer installed item or did the the factory assembly line guy get to choose? Or was it just a "dress up part" that could be purchased over the parts counter at the dealer? We did that dealer upgrade as a gift for our son's Scion tC.

Dennis