IGNORED

sweatys rebuild

sweatybetty

37 minutes ago, madkaw said:

How early Cliff was the 73?
Bo's car is a late 72, so maybe he still has small chamber head!

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club

Steve, I'm sorry but I have no idea.  I bought just the motor for the 3 screws SUs someone had put on there and luckily it had that head and the big rods with flat pistons. 

I've always read the perfect stamped E88 is the good one.  This would be the later version with more quench, miss matched letter sizes, from what I've read.

Image result for E88 240z head identifying

I think this is the early version, same size letters.  I'm not positive about this, just what I've read.   Both of my '72s have the same size lettering like this.

Image result for E88 240z head identifying

Does anyone else think that those hone cuts look awfully big? I think if it were me, I'd have another machine shop do another hone cut.....wouldn't cost much....good insurance. BTW, I think you can still get Nissan 73 Pistons at your local dealer. The flat top without reliefs are NLA........and I also believe if I remember correctly, ITM pistons come fly cut for the L24 motors. SB.....can you look and see if the Pistons that came out are ITM or Nissan? And Siteunseen....can you take a pic of the chambers in that E88? Just curious. Love your dog....looks as crazy as my pooch;)

image.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

Does anyone else think that those hone cuts look awfully big? I think if it were me, I'd have another machine shop do another hone cut.....wouldn't cost much....good insurance. BTW, I think you can still get Nissan 73 Pistons at your local dealer. The flat top without reliefs are NLA........and I also believe if I remember correctly, ITM pistons come fly cut for the L24 motors. SB.....can you look and see if the Pistons that came out are ITM or Nissan?

Guy's got some eyes!  Here's what mine looked like when I got it back from the machinist.

DSC01067.JPG

On 9/5/2016 at 9:24 AM, madkaw said:

I thought this was the L28 block. I took a 73 block apart and the Pistons had reliefs like this.
How big are the rod bolts- 8 or 9 mm?

ok guys, it sounds like there is a little confusion. i have an e31 head and an e31 l24 block that came in the car when i bought it. my original plan was to buy a l28 block and put the e31 head with bigger valves on it. bit, since tearing into the l24 block and finding that it has been newly re-built, i am going to stick with the l24 and e31 head. i think with bigger valves, webers, a header and a little porting work, it should breathe well enough.

madkaw, they are 8mm rod bolts.

i decided that since i have everything torn apart, i might as well replace the main and rod bearings. they should be in my hands monday. so in the meantime, im getting everything else ready to put back together.

here are a few parts that got powder-coated.

100_1991.JPG

a little trick i learned is to put aluminum foil under the parts. the over-spray powder sticks to the foil, and then you can scoop it up and use it again. there is quite a bit just from the distributor

100_1988.JPG

oil pan all clean and painted

100_1992.JPG

got the head torn down. not 1 broken stud or bolt

100_1981.JPG

if you havent tried this stuff yet, its worth every dime. it was only $7 a can. i was sure that the heater hose fitting would snap, but it came out like a greased turd

100_1982.JPG

100_1983.JPG

On 9/5/2016 at 4:15 PM, Diseazd said:

Does anyone else think that those hone cuts look awfully big? I think if it were me, I'd have another machine shop do another hone cut.....wouldn't cost much....good insurance. BTW, I think you can still get Nissan 73 Pistons at your local dealer. The flat top without reliefs are NLA........and I also believe if I remember correctly, ITM pistons come fly cut for the L24 motors. SB.....can you look and see if the Pistons that came out are ITM or Nissan? And Siteunseen....can you take a pic of the chambers in that E88? Just curious. Love your dog....looks as crazy as my pooch;)

image.jpeg

Guy I'll get those photos ASAP.

"Crazy" is very kind way to describe mine, I normally use different words. LOL

He's almost a year old so I've got one more to go. He has recently figured out I'm the one that turns the door knobs. 180 from my female that passed away, not necessarily bad but completely different.

• Like 2

Here's those pics.  I hope they make sense @Diseazd @madkaw

The later E88 has a straighter edge on the plug mound towards the intake valve, the best I can tell, it's the top one in this photo and has been shaved .040" by a machine shop, the dirty one is untouched early E88 with a bigger plug mound reducing the overall volume of the combustion chamber.

E88.png

Here are the stamps.  Later version has the sloppy looking E88, it's the cleaner one on top.  Notice how close the "NISSAN JAPAN" is after being cut by the machine shop compared to the lower dirty one.

DSC01166.JPG

My E31.  Notice there is no overhanging material above the plug mounds like the E88 have.  I didn't grind that off, I think that is why the E31 has a higher CR than the E88s.

DSC01629.JPG

Here's Nutty Buddy.  Waiting on a command from me.  The only one he can't seem to understand is "GET!".

Buddy.jpg

• Like 1

getting a few little odds and ends done. took the tail-light surrounds in for powder-coating. very tight wrinkle finish in flat black. i like it

100_1997.JPG

100_1999.JPG

anyone know what this hole is for? there is one directly behind it also.

100_2000.JPG

i got the valve cover painted today. it came out looking pretty good. VHT wrinkle finish paint, and a redneck oven bake took about 2 hours. i didnt have an oven big enough for the cover, so why not put the oven under the valve cover! what ever works......

100_2005.JPG

end result

100_2013.JPG

new fuel pump block-off plate from 1/4'" aluminum ready for powder-coating

100_2006.JPG 

Edited by sweatybetty
  • Like 1

100_2003.JPG

12 hours ago, grannyknot said:

The valve cover is rattle can? It looks fantastic.  Licence plate screw hole?

Please tell me there is a least jack stands on the front of your car and the parking brake is on, I can't even look at the pic without cringing. Sorry, it's none of my business.

100_2015.JPG

Edited by sweatybetty
  • Like 1