IGNORED

sweatys rebuild

sweatybetty

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

You want to spin the marker lamp lense around 180*, not the whole unit, just the red plastic lense.  The face of the lense should be on the same plane as the door.

it doesnt look like that will work. the front -of-car end is narrower than the rear. i will give it a try tomorrow. it just doesnt look quite right...........

yesterday turned out to be a good day :D my plan has been to build a L28 block and use the E31 head. i went and bought an engine stand and got the head off. then i found this. this is an E31 block with zero ring ridge and fresh hone marks. my plans have changed, since this is going to save some big $$

100_1941.JPG

100_1942.JPG

now im thinking that ill put bigger valves, cam and springs in the head and just roll with the block. im going to pull the pan and check the bearings today. the head looks good, very clean. it does have the small valves and what looks to be the original cam.

100_1948.JPG

100_1950.JPG

what do you guys think? any ideas?

Edited by sweatybetty

20 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

I agree, if the bearings and crank look good go with it. It was a good day if you made that kind of progress without any broken bolts or studs.

that is one of the things i was dreading, but not 1 broken bolt or stud :D i am going to replace them all though

turned out to be another good, productive day. the whole bottom end is new. all the rod and main bearings are new, but still standard size. i miked all of them, and used some plastic gauge, everything checks out within tolerances. im debating a new set of bearings since its all apart, but they look fine.

100_1952.JPG

100_1959.JPG

pistons right out of the block before cleaning

100_1954.JPG

100_1965.JPG

block washed inside and out and ready for paint

100_1966.JPG

100_1967.JPG

even water jackets are clean.

100_1968.JPG

primed and painted

100_1970.JPG

100_1973.JPG

100_1974.JPG

20 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Those pistons indicate that somebody had plans for lots of valve lift and duration.  The head and cam might be interesting.  

did stock pistons have a valve relief? i measured the lift at the valve and came up with .433 which is what my haynes manual says is factory lift. id like to jump up closer to .500 but am worried about valve-piston interference. do you think these would work with a higher lift cam?