IGNORED

sweatys rebuild

sweatybetty

hello all! first off, i would like to thank all of you who post here, as there is a lot of information to learn from.

i bought my 72 z from a young guy about a month ago. he had it sitting on a trailer with a for sale sign asking $850 obo. i offered $750 if he would deliver it and he jumped on that!

it seems he bought the car in 04 from some tweaker that loved to spray paint things black, which may have helped slow some of the rusting down. any how, the p.o. is a line-man and travels around America working and never found time to do much with the car and finally decided to sell. it has been sitting in a dry barn since 04.

i bought a battery, starter, oil psi gauge, temp gauge and some carb kits and the engine runs very well with good oil pressure. one worry gone!

anyhow here are some pics of what i bought and where i am now. i will try to keep this post up dated as thing go forward

thanks all   sb

1009151444a_zps5wofjxrk.jpg

1009151443a_zpsar8p7yto.jpg

triple webers 40dcoe

100_1037_zpsdjaickas.jpg

original dash no cracks at all!

100_1040_zpsxncest3v.jpg

passenger side floor pan before

100_1041_zps2oxm9c1n.jpg

and after

100_1079_zpsiy08akfx.jpg

drivers side  i replace the floor support on both sides with 16 gauge steel that runs from front to rear

100_1077_zps1wgjjywc.jpg

tweaker speaker holes. the cowl drains are right above these holes. no wonder the floor pans were rusted.

100B1170_zpsnntwhqzk.jpg

tweaker paint job. just in case you dont know its a 240z! i found a bit more rust under the battery tray, so i decided to strip the car and send it off to the sandblaster. he will do the engine bay, all the door posts and window frames for $200. all in a few hours. that will happen this coming week

100_1207_zpsfp1aa3yl.jpg

100_1203_zpsnu3lnbmn.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w87/sweatybetty1/100_1202_zpslclmuerf.jpg

You did good. The carbs and dash are worth 3 times what you paid for the car. Be careful if you work under the car that it can't roll. That would be bad. Blasting may reveal some more rots areas but at least you will have found it all. Looks good

You did good. The carbs and dash are worth 3 times what you paid for the car. Be careful if you work under the car that it can't roll. That would be bad. Blasting may reveal some more rots areas but at least you will have found it all. Looks good

Yep, I would be a little leery of those blocks myself.  I do love a new build though, keep the pics coming!

Edited by gwri8

car went to the blaster yesterday.when i originally talked to him, he said his rate was $140/hour. holy $%&^$$$! so when i dropped the car off i told him to stop at 2 hours. he did everything but the bottom and the roof for $245. he could have done the roof but didnt want to damage it since it is a large, flat panel. what a difference! this guy is my new best buddy!

100_1245_zps753hdl7f.jpg

100_1244_zps6htjranv.jpg

100_1246_zpsptazflwe.jpg

100_1249_zpswot8dhwr.jpg

100_1248_zpsganm8irb.jpg

and the ugly spot, under the battery.

100_1247_zpsox8enph1.jpg

100_1250_zpsrbdhkcas.jpg

i did forget to get a gallon of primer, so im a little worried about flash-rust, but i think it will be ok until monday.

SweatyBetty

That's not a bad rate for blasting and it is so nice to work on the car once you know what you have. The area under the battery could be worse. I had to repair that area on one car but had to make the compound corners. It looks like most of your repairs can be made from flat stock. "After Blast" from Eastwood will prevent flash rust so you can wait to paint until after you are done making repairs

• 2 weeks later...