IGNORED

Left Rear Locks Up When Lugs Torqued: Stub Axle Issue?

OldSkoolFool

Hey Z car fans,

I have a 1974 260Z vintage race car.  In the rear it has an R200, stock half shafts, and stock stub axles, stock hubs, etc.  A very odd issue is occurring since I put the rear end back together.  When I tighten the lug nuts, the left rear axle does not want to spin at all!  When the lugs are not tightened, it spins fine.  The car is not drive-able when the lugs are torqued as it can barely move and makes a sound that sounds like it is coming from the hub of the left rear.

I recently had the trans, drive shaft, diff, half shafts, and female parts that go over the stub axles and held on with the big nut out of the car and reassembled it.  Right now I am guessing something is going on with the left hub (I had never had an issue before and it all looked good in there, spindle included) or something else with the left rear.  It is not the brake caliper itself as the wheel spins when the lugs are not torqued.  My plan is to take the half shaft and female stub axle part apart and see what I can figure out.  From what I remember I do not think there is too much margin for error when reinstalling the female stub axle part and nut.

Other thoughts?  What should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Shane

When I tighten the lug nuts, the left rear axle does not want to spin at all!  When the lugs are not tightened, it spins fine.  The car is not drive-able when the lugs are torqued as it can barely move and makes a sound that sounds like it is coming from the hub of the left rear.

It is not the brake caliper itself as the wheel spins when the lugs are not torqued.  My plan is to take the half shaft and female stub axle part apart and see what I can figure out.  From what I remember I do not think there is too much margin for error when reinstalling the female stub axle part and nut.

Other thoughts?  What should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Shane

All that should happen when you tighten the lug nut is pulling the center of the wheel in to the axle flange.  I wouldn't take apart the axle assembly, nothing's changing in there when you clamp the wheel center to the flange.

Thank you for the posts and making me think about the brake a little more.  It turns out it was a very simple fix... the two bolts that held the caliper on were threaded far enough through to make contact with the rotor when the lugs were tightened.  Not sure if I got the bolts switched around with something else or what but it is now fixed and good to go!  Thanks again for the help!