IGNORED

Cataloging 240z factory manufacture paint marks

AZ-240z

I've been trying to gather picture data of the original factory paint marks used during the assembly process.  Using the search function, i guess I may not

be identifying correctly what I am looking for. 

Has anyone mapped out all of the yellow splotches of paint used during the assembly of a 240z, or have pictures of survivor cars which depict the location

of said yellow assembly marks?

Thanks for any help from a helplessly addicted originality GEEK!

And these came from a 4/70 car displayed at ZCON 2005; all original, 29,000 miles.

The photographs I have of my car are just that - photographs.  But I have signs of yellow in these locations.  I also have red paint on the nut / washer holding the front suspension compression rod to the chassis.  I never made a map however I'll bet Mike McGinnis knows.

post-3383-0-08694400-1445513504_thumb.jp

post-3383-0-98899100-1445513523_thumb.jp

post-3383-0-04828500-1445513534_thumb.jp

Here are some pictures I have, Dan. These two are from a car Mike McGinnis did several years ago - a gold medallion car.

Chris, thanks for the pics of both your car and a car done by Mike McGinnis. I have talked with Mike (caught him at a busy

time under a car) and asked him if he had mapped out all of these yellow production marks. I'll get back to him on any

specific marks when he has more time, but he did indicate there were variations as to the location of these yellow marks with no definitive mapping.

Your pictures are very important as they not only convey the location, but how they were applied with obvious disregard

as to neatness. The smear of paint likely not only hit the targeted fastener, but also surrounding structures.

Dan

Edited by AZ-240z

post-15177-14150819400887.jpg

Blue, more great pictures. Much appreciated. I spent time on this board a number of years ago defining the paint marks

on springs with member Carl Beck. Carl had, through Courtesy Nissan, arranged for the reproduction of a number of set

of springs and your pictures reinforce what Carl had found as to the correct paint marks.

Dan

Here are a couple of pics showing some yellow paint marks that were revealed as I was doing some cleaning under my 7/70 last winter.

post-7818-0-31268600-1445607111_thumb.jppost-7818-0-43285600-1445607155_thumb.jp

The marks on the mustache bar were very randomly applied. The cross member at the front of the diff also has some yellow paint marks, I will try to get a better picture next time the car is up on jack stands.

Mike

• Like 1

Here are a couple of pics showing some yellow paint marks that were revealed as I was doing some cleaning under my 7/70 last winter.attachicon.gifIMG_4710s.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4852s.JPGThe marks on the mustache bar were very randomly applied. The cross member at the front of the diff also has some yellow paint marks, I will try to get a better picture next time the car is up on jack stands.Mike

Thanks, Mike. More good examples to archive. As demonstrated in your pictures, the challenge will not

only mark the correct locations, but to emulate the technique used. The daubs of paint were applied in a

purposeful, yet timely manner with attention to neatness secondary as the car traveled down the assembly line.

Dan

• Like 1

Please tell us newbies what those marks were for.  I've never seen or read anything about that and am curious to know.  Also thank you for bringing this up when you did, I'm painting my motor and thought the oil pan was blue.  And I see the motor mounting brackets are black with blue over spray.  

Thanks!

Please tell us newbies what those marks were for.  I've never seen or read anything about that and am curious to know.  Also thank you for bringing this up when you did, I'm painting my motor and thought the oil pan was blue.  And I see the motor mounting brackets are black with blue over spray.  

Thanks!

I think "Blue's" answers are exactly correct concerning the assembly line marks. This is just my opinion,

but I would say that the original oil pan color Is about 80% gloss black. In contrast, the gas tank was close

to 100% gloss black.

I thought about trying to duplicate the blue engine overspray, but I couldn't find enough pictorial evidence showing

The correct locations of overspray to determine how it was possibly applied.

Dan