IGNORED

Engine only runs with starter fluid

hatepotholez

Well I hope I'm not sounding like a know it all either as I'm certainly no carb expert. Heck, I've never even taken the 72 versions apart. Haha!

Jarvo, Thanks for the info on the 72 alignment cones. I've held the 72 versions and looked them over casually but they weren't mine, so as much as I wanted to, I couldn't disassemble them.

And I'm loony, but if I was mixing and matching parts and had binding pistons, I would heat and dig out the existing nubs, make myself an alignment tool, fixture and lock the chamber into it's new correct position, and epoxy inject myself a new set of nubbies. A little release agent on the chambers before fixturing.... Clearly overkill, and a good example of why why my projects take ten thousand times longer than normal! :D

I love these SU carbs and have rebuilt many sets over the past couple years.  Happy to help out fellow enthusiasts!  Its fun turning beat up and worn out examples and refurbishing them.  Here are some before & after pics...

IMG_1192.thumb.JPG.b2f10b40448a684ca48e2 IMG_1239.thumb.JPG.6fdc0a6a998031ac62efa

Before4.thumb.jpg.f8a3e8e20c2e70beea821d IMG_1519.thumb.JPG.61a76c61582aeee02792c

IMG_1509.thumb.JPG.1b8cb1d65eb0f274161ed IMG_1227.thumb.JPG.bfea0d8b2a85a1b4d3d43

2 hours ago, Jarvo2 said:

I love these SU carbs and have rebuilt many sets over the past couple years.  Happy to help out fellow enthusiasts!  Its fun turning beat up and worn out examples and refurbishing them.  Here are some before & after pics...

IMG_1192.thumb.JPG.b2f10b40448a684ca48e2 IMG_1239.thumb.JPG.6fdc0a6a998031ac62efa

Before4.thumb.jpg.f8a3e8e20c2e70beea821d IMG_1519.thumb.JPG.61a76c61582aeee02792c

IMG_1509.thumb.JPG.1b8cb1d65eb0f274161ed IMG_1227.thumb.JPG.bfea0d8b2a85a1b4d3d43

Those look beautiful.

Alot of experience on this board, which I am very grateful for. This is my first vintage vehicle i'm working on lol. Been dealing on modern vehicles my whole life. Carbs are a total new experience for me! At work all I hear i is, "I remember when I used to work on those!".

Edited by hatepotholez

So good news and bad news. Good news is, I replaced both needles on the original pots and now both are working properly. Bad news is my rear carb keeps leaking. My plugs are extremely fouled so I'll be changing those out. Should I separate the float bowl from the carb body and then retry the float setup?

You can take those float valves apart. Remove that small clip ring at the top and pull the pin out. There's a little cone shaped at the end. Mine are grey in color. There's also a spring in there you can stretch out for a stronger closing pressure.

Clean the pin and it's seat inside the body of the valve with a can of carb cleaner. Stretch the spring and it should be like new. Or buy new ones.

• Like 1