IGNORED

Unleaded filler neck add-on(in)

Zed Head

I picked up an unleaded filler neck from the wrecking yard a couple of months ago to see if I could get it installed in my 1976 leaded filler neck, to make it easier to fill at the stations.  I racked my brain for a day or two trying to figure out how to get the filler neck mounted inside the gigantic 1976 pipe, but couldn't come up with anything so I set the parts aside.  Then the other day my simple-minded brain part took over and I came up with an easy way, using a drill, a tap, three holes, and some screws.

The filler neck came from an older Dodge van, I believe, mainly because it was easy to access from under the fender.  There's about 10 inches of pipe still attached.

I found that even with the extra pipe, the whole assembly could possibly fall in to the tank.  It's essentially a straight shot through the giant 1976 pipe, and the later model filler necks are small.  With the set screws, even if they loosen I should have time to fix it before it drops.  Seems tight though, after 1/2 tank of driving and fuel sloshing, and temperature variations.

Haven't even had the gas guys (attendants fill all tanks here in Oregon) try it out yet, but I think that they'll like it.  The big hole always made them nervous that the nozzle would fall out.  Or things got so splashy that the nozzle safety kicked off.  I was going to cut the screws down for a nicer look, but once I got it set, I didn't want to mess with it.  Might need some fine-tuning.  But if they like, it's not changing.

Just food for thought for anyone looking for a solution to that problem.

post-19298-0-43531400-1445044343_thumb.p

I've looked at the Filler pipe for a while and considered doing something like that.  Even went so far as to order this on a whim. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Tank-Fuel-Filler-Replacement-Insert-2-1-4-X-2-/360504893932

I haven't done anything with it though.  It's been moving from bin to bin in my workshop for almost a year now.  It might just turn out to be a little winter project.

Wow, I didn't know there were still places that had "pump jockeys" to fill the tank.  I think it's been 35 or 40 years since the last time I was at a station where I didn't have to pump gas myself.  Do they check the oil like in the old days, too?

Dennis

It wasn't all lobbying by the stations. We had a choice and kept gas jockeys because of the weather & to save entry level jobs that are rapidly disappearing. There are still a lot of teens pumping gas here in Oregon. :)

Mark

I don't think we got the choice in NJ. I could be wrong, but I remember reading something about the lobby killing it in the NJ legislature.

To get back on topic, I'm just going to use my gas cans we keep in the garage for the generator. Either that or use the trick I used on my motorcycle, which was to just do it myself anyway and stare daggers when they went to argue.

Edited by Matthew