IGNORED

How much time should a shop take to install a Vintage Air Gen II mini evaporator and Sanden Compressor 508

jalexquijano

Just took my car 4 weeks ago to a shop in Panama to do the following to my 240z:

1. Install Sanden 508 compressor and bracket

2. Install Vintage Air Gen II mini evaporator under the dashboard 

3. Replace damaged Ahmeter with a good one which i provided

4. Replace all dashboard bulbs with leds which i also provided

5. Install a working servo diaphgram and throttle opener valve.

6. Install the hoses and condenser.

7. Install an MSA Fan Shroud

I have called the mechanic several times and he advises he is still working on it! How much longer should i wait? Does this really take that long?

He asked me for US$200 in parts to purchase the hoses and condenser and is billing me US$600 for installation.

Anyone?? Should i keep on waiting?

Edited by jalexquijano

Not sure what the hourly labor rate is in Panama, but the $600 doesn't sound out of line with what I paid to have my AC installed a few years ago.

As for it taking four weeks, I suppose it all depends on the shop's workload and how much time they can allot to your Z.  If your mechanic is working only on your car, he's dazed and confused.  What time estimate were you given when you brought the car in for the AC install?

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, finally after 35 days the following was accomplished:

1.  Install Sanden 508 compressor and bracket ---------------------------------------- DONE, mechanic did not need additional on switch to turn the compressor on. The compressor is turn on moving the fan knob to speed 1. Hence it will only have speed 1 and 2.

2. Install Vintage Air Gen II mini evaporator under the dashboard ---------------- DONE, left some punctured holes in the top of the dashboard.

3. Replace damaged Ahmeter with a good one which i provided------------------ DONE, it oscillates to the right hand side! Is this its normal operation when the engine is on?

4. Replace all dashboard bulbs with leds which i also provided-------------------- DONE, red brake light does not turn on

5. Install a working servo diaphgram and throttle opener valve..------------------- Mechanic says this is not needed! then how does he keep the rpm up when the car is at idle and the AC is on?

6. Install the hoses and condenser. ------------------------------------------Done

7. Install an MSA Fan Shroud.------------------------------------------------- DOne

Any opinions on the above???

No throttle opener control valve and no servo diaphgram?? How do you compensate when the car is at idle and you turn the AC on?

Instead of an 800 RPM idle, mine is set just a bit higher..  I'll check exact reading next time I drive.  Even when I had the old York A/C compressor on the Z for many years, 1,000 RPM worked just fine.  The current newer style compressor is even less of a pull on the engine.

Dennis