IGNORED

My winter project: L28 swap into my 240z

blodi

Boy oh boy am I jealous of your car.  It's so nice and shiny, everywhere!

I'm finally ready to bolt my tranny up and drop it the motor/tranny back in, when my transmission guy gets off his arse.

Yeah, i was lucky to find the car. Two owners ago the guy dumped a fortune into having it restored. Really the only thing that is tired looking on the car is the engine. So...fixing that! Gonna really take my time and clean everything up as it goes back together. 

Looks like you have a good project going on there yourself! What are the specs on your engine? 

Pretty excited to see this thing going.   Your story reminds me a lot about mine.  Purchased about the same time, same colour, same auto tranny swap.   Even building a L28 with a similar cam.   I'm excited to hear how she runs!

Edited by HuD 91gt

Looks like you have a good project going on there yourself! What are the specs on your engine? 

I had big plans for that 240 but decided it was too nice to hot rod so I'm leaving it as stock as I can, 2.4 liter.  Matched the ports to the intake and header, smoothed everything down on that temporary E88.  I'm going to refresh the original E88 this winter and swap them out someday.

I have an E31 with 280 valves just sitting waiting on steel valve seats, damn machinist!  When I finally get it done I have a cam kit to put in and then on top of an F54 bored .30" over but I can't decide what car will get the better motor, most likely I'll put it into my 280.

Cam kit from Schneider, http://schneidercams.com/270-80_FL6.aspx

I had big plans for that 240 but decided it was too nice to hot rod so I'm leaving it as stock as I can, 2.4 liter.  Matched the ports to the intake and header, smoothed everything down on that temporary E88.  I'm going to refresh the original E88 this winter and swap them out someday.

I have an E31 with 280 valves just sitting waiting on steel valve seats, damn machinist!  When I finally get it done I have a cam kit to put in and then on top of an F54 bored .30" over but I can't decide what car will get the better motor, most likely I'll put it into my 280.

Cam kit from Schneider, http://schneidercams.com/270-80_FL6.aspx

I had that same debate about keeping the L24. But, I'm no engine builder and this L28 was too good of a deal to pass up. I've never been one to shy away from more power either. 

If you do that L28 it sound like it will be pretty similar to what I have here.  

Speaking of the E31 head. Looking at the only other photo I can find of one with the "E31" marking...and then looking at mine...I think my head has been shaved...thus the thicker head gasket to bring down compression....If you look at the distance between the "JAPAN" and "E31" markings and the bottom of the head...mine has basically no distance....

Photo I found online....

IPIbi9h.jpg

Mine....

21926078138_f5488461e5_c.jpgIMG_3897 by blodi, on Flickr

I would think the "Positive" in PCV should be outbound and relieved somehow, just a guess.  Is that a crack above it?  Looks like he JB welded it in place, maybe hard to get out, there's no threads in that hole.  I put mine in last night.

I want to see the core plugs, curious about those.  :)

"crankcase ventilation system is a one way passage for gases to escape in a controlled manner from the crankcase of an internal combustion engine.

This is necessary because internal combustion inevitably involves a small but continual amount of blow-by, which occurs when some of the gases from the combustion leak past the piston rings (that is, blow by them) to end up inside the crankcase, causing pressure to build up in the crank case. For control of the pressure inside it, a PCV (Positive crankshaft ventilation) is used to vent the crank case."