IGNORED

My winter project: L28 swap into my 240z

blodi

. I found out it was built by Ritalon Engineering in Wisconsin. I couldn't find any contact info for them other than an mailing address. So I sent some photos and information to them. 3 weeks later I got a phone call from Larry there. He told me a lot of good information about the engine. He didn't know which exact engine it was but told me all the usual stuff he did with them. So, sounds like its' bored, .040, some head porting, arp studs, shot peened rods, American Custom 071 cam (pretty big cam, I don't have the spec in front of me right now.) Should be about a 10.5:1 comp ratio. 

It's interesting that the guy seems to have built a few engines but doesn't seem to be well-known.  I've never heard of the shop.

Cylinder pressure will give some idea of potential ping problems.  That's probably in the future though.

Larry is quite the guy. He did some work on a head I bought out of Georgia.

He lives out in the boonies and has no internet service.

In fact he does not even own a computer. Very old school.

His memory does not seem to be as good as it was. And it will take a while

for him to get back to you. Very good machinist but not good at the business

end of things. All word of mouth to even know about him.

Surely to god they ported the cylinder with that cam.  That'd be like sucking Jello Pudding through a coffee straw.

I would think so too. Larry seemed to think he did. Here is the only port shot if you guys can tell anything by it...

21926077928_f66ae4e7b2_z.jpgIMG_3900 by blodi, on Flickr

blodi, that looks like a Kamaeri steel head gasket, if it is then your compression might not be as high as 10.5. The thick Kamaeri HG are often used to bring down the compression when no other way can be found to deal with ping.

That's is possible. I can maybe try to measure it with my calipers and see how thick it is. The guy I bought it from thought he was told the compression was "11:1" I didn't really buy that. 

The L engine calculator put it at 10.43 with the E31 head, flat tops, and .040 bore. 

Larry is quite the guy. He did some work on a head I bought out of Georgia.

He lives out in the boonies and has no internet service.

In fact he does not even own a computer. Very old school.

His memory does not seem to be as good as it was. And it will take a while

for him to get back to you. Very good machinist but not good at the business

end of things. All word of mouth to even know about him.

That seems to echo my what I've learned. He seems to really know his stuff and has certainly done a lot of work it seems. But yes, it was hard to track him down. And he doesn't really seem to have ever tried to get his name out there at all. 

Also, here is a better shot of that "don't turn over" tape on the engine.....you guys tell me if you can make anything out of it?

21540647704_6c556d1677_z.jpgIMG_3894 by blodi, on Flickr

I would think so too. Larry seemed to think he did. Here is the only port shot if you guys can tell anything by it...

21926077928_f66ae4e7b2_z.jpgIMG_3900 by blodi, on Flickr

That's is possible. I can maybe try to measure it with my calipers and see how thick it is. The guy I bought it from thought he was told the compression was "11:1" I didn't really buy that. 

The L engine calculator put it at 10.43 with the E31 head, flat tops, and .040 bore. 

That seems to echo my what I've learned. He seems to really know his stuff and has certainly done a lot of work it seems. But yes, it was hard to track him down. And he doesn't really seem to have ever tried to get his name out there at all. 

Also, here is a better shot of that "don't turn over" tape on the engine.....you guys tell me if you can make anything out of it?

21540647704_6c556d1677_z.jpgIMG_3894 by blodi, on Flickr

What does it look like the rest of the note says on the tape.

He may not want the distributor shaft gear to move out of phase.

Looks good to my eyes, he even chamfered the intake bolt holes.  I wonder what the Sharpie marks are for?  And I think "do not turn over" is for handling purposes, it would fall off the crate it's sitting on.  I think you hit a gold mine with that motor.  :)

Good to know!

I think Lumens hit the nail on the head below on the note....

What does it look like the rest of the note says on the tape.

He may not want the distributor shaft gear to move out of phase.

That has to be it! All I can make out is "#1 dis" so...must be set to #1. I assume once I bolt my distributor on it'll be ok then to turn over...obviously with oil and such. 

" American Custom 071 cam (pretty big cam, I don't have the spec in front of me right now.)"

I never heard of that Cam Company before.

http://www.americancustomcam.com/index.htm

I spoke with Joe there and he was extremely helpful and gave me all the specs on the cam. He says its a "very popular cam" "sound awesome at idle" "makes no power below 3K, but then just pulls like crazy" and its "a very aggressive street/moderate race cam"....seems to make sense with the 300 duration and 500 lift specs he gave me on it. 

• 1 month later...

Lets get this party started! Got a healthy start on the swap this extended weekend. Everything drained/disconnected and removed that needs to be. Basically ready to pull the engine now. I really enjoy working on this car...everything is so simple/straightforward. Going to go borrow a hoist and stand from a friend this week so I can pull the engine this weekend.

Oh, as mentioned above by Grannyknot, I did measure the headgasket it and it is a 2mm...so the compression it probably lower than what I thought...unless the head was shaved at some point. Not sure how to find that out though.

Progress Pics... 

Before...

23427344635_d7ef9d9e50_c.jpgIMG_5282 by blodi, on Flickr

23131558150_371d950c30_c.jpgIMG_5284 by blodi, on Flickr

After....

23131557740_6a704ab46b_c.jpgIMG_5325 by blodi, on Flickr

23344802631_5cf8579abf_c.jpgIMG_5323 by blodi, on Flickr

23059369319_921378ebfc_c.jpgIMG_5322 by blodi, on Flickr