IGNORED

Beware Mr. Gasket fuel filters

madkaw

616iVQguJ5L._SX425_.jpgBought this little gem because I thought the idea was good to see when things got dirty. It left me stranded on the road at 11pm on the way to work. Had to leave my Z in a church parking lot until towed to a buddies house. 

I had previous issues with my engine acting like it ran out of fuel, but blamed my Mikuni's and my Holley regulator. You could see fuel in the glass so I ASSumed all was good. after it left me stranded me and my buddies dug into things and found that the fuel flow stopped at the BRAND NEW filter. The cartridge filter is held inplace on a threaded pipe by a nut. I guess they didn't get it tight during assembly and the nut was free to rome up and down the threads. It eventually loosened up all the way to one end which then CLOSED off the only entry holes for incoming fuel. BAD DESIGN-period. I called Mr Gasket and let them know. Might be different if I had assembled it or the instructions said to check tightness, but it did not.

I threw the SOB away and bought a 5$ plastic one.

signed

P.O.d

I use to have one of those on a 1974 Triumph TR6 with a V8 about 15 yrs ago, one day the the pot metal threads let go, fuel pump kept on pumping and I had pools of gasoline boiling in the pockets of the Edlebrock Jr intake manifold, the engine was screaming hot and I stood there with a fire extinguisher waiting for my car to burst into flames. It never did, I had a horseshoe up my bum that day but everytime I see one of those stupid things on someones car I them that story.

bought one for a motorcycle build a few years ago, it leaked before the engine ever fired up.

unfixable, unusable. glad you found the culprit!

i installed this on my firewall - genuine old school clear glass filter w/large cartridge and solid design. big enough to see what's going on in the bowl and built in regulator that doesn't restrict flow. 

post-28907-0-42492200-1444737719.jpeg

Our Datsun 510 has a glass window on the float bowl. How is the glass filter bowl any more of a hazard than a plastic filter? I would think the glass is thicker and would take a harder strike than a plastic filter. What am I missing?