IGNORED

Trip Down the "Mother Road" Route 66

Marty Rogan

Sounds like a great drive. I live near the other end of the Mother Road and occasionally drive a stretch of Route 66 in Southern California. Although it has the "Historic Route 66" logo painted on the pavement, there's no sign of the old gas stations or hotels - just shopping malls and office buildings.

Dennis

Great story and great pictures!  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.  Even surrounded my American muscle cars your Z looks right at home.  That Super Bird is as radical today as it was when it was new.  One day I would love for my wife and I to do some road trips in my Z.  I need to show her this post!

That's cool. If I had more time and more money, I'd do all sorts of expensive time consuming stuff, and one of them would be to drive the whole Route 66 from one end to the other.

Hey is only 2448 miles.  How long could that take, a week?

My friend that organized the trip wants to drive it from Illinois to California.  Now, THAT would be one hell of a cruise!

Sounds like a great drive. I live near the other end of the Mother Road and occasionally drive a stretch of Route 66 in Southern California. Although it has the "Historic Route 66" logo painted on the pavement, there's no sign of the old gas stations or hotels - just shopping malls and office buildings.

Dennis

That's really a shame they did not preserve any of the history out in CA.  There is quite a bit of it in Illinois. I hear there are quite a few cool things to see in Arizona, and a couple other western states.  There are actually several books written about it.

So do either of the two restored service stations pump gas or work on cars, or are they both just tourist stops now?

The vintage pumps are just ornamental.   They are both just tourist stops now.  Judging by the visitor log, they get a surprising number of people visiting each year from all over the globe.  

That's really a shame they did not preserve any of the history out in CA.  There is quite a bit of it in Illinois. I hear there are quite a few cool things to see in Arizona, and a couple other western states.  There are actually several books written about it.

When I moved west to California about 40 years ago, I drove Route 66 in my '71 Z.  At that time, Interstate 40 was still under construction in many places and hadn't replaced 66 as the main route from OK to CA.  I got to see the funky motels, gas stations and diners while they were in their final years.  If you ever make the Route 66 drive west, be sure to get a picture of yourself "standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona".

Dennis