IGNORED

Replaced my cargo straps with ratchet straps

Derek

I've been wanting to do this for years. I finally got around to it. 

Finished product

IMG_0598_zpshfkcrrod.jpg

They were a little bigger that I would have liked but they were black. I got them at Harbor Freight.

Made brackets out of aluminum and painted them black.  I guess I could have dusted them off:)

IMG_0596_zpsmv6vfkpa.jpg

I cut the hooks out of the webbing. I cut the hooks themselves as I have an iron worker that will do that kind of thing. I left the loops in the webbing. I then used a soldering iron to burn holes through the strap.

IMG_0595_zpszfbwdw7s.jpg

If you really wanted to get crazy you could slip a pin through the loop to keep it from pulling out but I really don't think you need it.

IMG_0597_zps4qryjk6d.jpg

IMG_0599_zpskqpzaylg.jpg

Perfect for hauling around your twin cam L6 prototype head:)

IMG_0602_zpsfgw4sfcc.jpg

• Like 1

Wow. Very nice. So you're "Captain Overkill"?

So you've got access to all sorts of machinery to cut that prototype head, and the only thing you can find to finish off your brackets was freehand on a belt sander?  :D

I'm glad someone mentioned it. I posted that closeup for a reason:)  My mill is down with a blown board so I had to do it all by hand. I did one set satin and one with a DA finish. I liked the DA better so they are in the front. The belt sand in hidden in the back.  

Haha! Glad to help.  :)

So my previous owner removed my cargo straps completely and I've been looking for options. I did pick up a pair of old straps off a junker a while ago, but they are very faded. Supposed to be black, but they're a pale blue/gray. I like the ratcheting ability of your mod too. Nice work.

Thank you Derek, your blog is on my favorites list.

The pic of the ///M engine is just a test fit, still at least a year away maybe more.

You know the drill, too much stuff that has to be done before the fun stuff gets done.

I can see your first 25-30 heads flying out the door as fast as you can make them and then steady sales from then on. It's been fun watching the process.

Chris

I can see your first 25-30 heads flying out the door as fast as you can make them and then steady sales from then on. It's been fun watching the process.

Chris

I hope your right:)

In september it was a year since I made my big unveiling of the head. I couldn't believe a year went by and I still didn't have a close to finished product.

And so it goes.

I replaced my straps too, but I didn't have to make a new cylinder head for the engine!  Ha ha

I have been advocating for a new cylinder head and despite all the nay-sayers that   insist you need a big bank account to do it. it has apparently been done.

We will all look forward to the  renewed  performance a well-designed cylinder head will give. :)

Edited by TomoHawk