IGNORED

A Meeting with the Original Owner of #8011

Hardway

Jeff - that's a great story, really well written.  Pretty cool that you could track down the original owner, previously in California and now in the area close to your family.  You've done a nice job on closing the loop on the car's ownership and history.

Sorry to have missed you at C&C.  We had a family event at my home that day to celebrate my Aunt's 100th birthday.  As to the low turnout for Z's, our local club has gotten pretty well burnt out on C&C as the personality of the Plano event has significantly changed over the past couple of years.

Regards,

Jim

good stuff - sounds like you made his day with that meeting.

it's funny how provenance plays so strongly in the value of a car - race history, famous owners, etc.

a triumph scrambler owned by steve mcqueen will take in shocking $$ whereas an exact duplicate, in better mechanical shape significantly less. i guess those of us who care somehow find a connection with the spirit/memories of a vehicle that goes beyond the metal. 

i'm the third owner of my z, and purchased it from an older gentleman who had bought it for his wife back in the early 80's and sold it a few years after she passed away. when we test drove it together, it was so cool to hear the stories of how the car was a part of their lives for so long. her name was Priscilla, and while my headstrong and often difficult project has been referred to as "Lillith", the car will always be Priscilla to me.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the compliments guys.  I am glad I was able to share the story and thrilled that the event actually happened.  Getting to meet Frank and show him the car made his day as much as mine.  I look forward to keeping in touch with him and hopefully hearing about him being the new owner of Porsche 911 one day!

Great story that definitely echoes in many of us, I'm sure.

I've always wondered whatever happened to my beautiful "77 Z after I painfully left it as a trade for a VW Rabbit in 1980 before going off to med school. I needed some quick extra cash and still have a vehicle and that was my solution at the time.

If that car is still around and the current owner tracks me down I would be so eager to see my car again and provide whatever insight and memories I could to him or her. Great memories! Thanks for the story.