IGNORED

Why Toyota Four Runner Brakes?

MDyer

The best thing about the Toyota caliper swap is that they don't require any machine work or modifications to the strut to mount them, they bolt right up. Just be sure to get the correct ones, the ones with the W or WS (?) on the caliper are made for vented rotors.

Great news, direct bolt on is the easiest. Is there any particular year I shoud pull these from?

Also, if I did go with vented brakes are slot and drilled basically the same? Where should I be looking to get the disks? Year, make, model car in junk yard? Cataloge (more expensive than used)?

I have heard lots of pros and cons regarding this modification over the years. With any mod you have to consider the entire system you are changing. I haven't done it myself so no direct experience but you should think about them before making a change. I have seen many writeups on the web that include all the specifics, although I cannot seem to find any of them right now. Most of the links I have are no longer valid, but if I find them I will pass it on.

With more front brake force and no changes to the rear you are more likely to lock up the fronts. May not be a big deal because the fronts do most of the braking anyway. You can add an adjustable brake proportioning valve but it can be very difficult to get the brakes set up right again.

Another thing is heat. You will generate more heat that could lead to boiling of your brake fluid or rotor damage during heavy use. I have heard people going to Ford Heavy Duty brake fluid. It is a Dot 3 non-synthetic fluid that can handle more heat than the standard stuff you will find at most auto stores. Also, good idea to put in some proper brake ducting if you are going to be autocrossing and especially if you do track events.

Weight, like your stock Z brakes the Toyota 4-piston are cast iron brake calipers. Since they are larger they do weigh more.

Brake feel, it takes more brake fluid to push the additional two brake pistons. This change will mean more brake peddle travel. This is one reason to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines. Stock rubber lines can expand which will cause more peddle travel as well. I think as long as you will need to drain the brakes anyway you may as well get the stainless steel lines and that may take up some of the travel increase due to the new hungrier calipers. The 280ZX master cylinder upgrade can also help with this although I have heard it is really only prefered if you also convert the rears from drum to disc brakes.

Rotors: Drilled rotors have holes drilled in the braking surface from one side through to the other. Slotted rotors have slots or groves somewhat diagonally across the braking surface. Vented rotors have a air space between the two sides of the rotors. Hope that all makes sense. Do not attempt to alter you own rotors!!! If you want to buy vented and/or drilled and/or slotted rotors get good quality! The word is that it really doesn't help much because the stock Z rotors are so narrow. With more work and some 300ZX parts you can modify the brakes to use vented rotors. But the rotors are smaller.

Fit: The Toyota calipers are larger and may not fit with some wheels. Also, you will need to modify or remove the brake dust shield to fit them.

Last, do you have a problem with you current brakes that you think this will fix? It is always best to make sure your current system is working correctly so you don't get disappointed when things still don't work correctly after spending a bunch of money on a modification.

Hope it helps! Sorry for the long post!

have had two conversions on my 240z first went with the hilux or for runner calipers for solid discs nice easy conversion just bolt straight on good for upgrade and normal street work with good pads

Since then have gone for the vented hilux for runner calipers of with falcon vented discs and carbon fibre pads from Gtr calipers god do they stop well still using standard master cylinder but had to cut caliper mounts off strut and make new ones which i bolted to the orginal disc cover plate holes which were tapped out to 10 mm bolts sure stops well now just dont stomp on them first time flatted spotted one set of tyres.

Mick