IGNORED

Glove box 78 280Z-trying to get it open

One Way

New to the website and just took delivery on a resurrection project that has been sitting for 19 years.  Got the title and keys to this project car-did not get either on my other Datsun project still in progress-but not sure if the glove box had a different key.  I have 3 copies of the same key which work on the doors and ignition, also inserts and turns in the glove box but it refuses to open.  Hoping to find some additional vehicle history or possible owners manual in there.  Was there a different key for the glove box?  Or will I have to start removing parts?  Thanks in advance from a Z newcomer for any helpful advice.  John-Lugoff, SC

I was mistaken or the door locks don't work.  The keys turn in the door but will not unlock them.  Keys turn the ignition switch OK but I removed the battery and what was left of the tray the day after we took delivery.  Did they have 2 different keys for the 78 models?

Thanks again, John-Thankful in Lugoff, SC for being spared from the disasterous flooding all around us.

There is one key for the ignition and passenger doors, A second key for the rear hatch and glove box.

It is very common for the door locks to be worn out.  Does your ignition key lock the doors but not unlock them? Check to see.

Edit :  I might add that a lot can happen in 37+ years.  Previous owners could have replaced some locks but not others kind of stuff.  It is possible that you have 3 keys, ignition, doors, hatch. Time to put on your Sherlock cap.

Edited by gwri8

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately all 3 keys are identical. Putting the keys in the door, it feels like it wants to do something but do not want to force the issue. Most likely there may be some issues inside the door panel. I just was not sure if 2 different keys were used. Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC

I have one key that does doors, hatch, ignition, and glove box on my 1976 car.  My doors were very stiff and took lots of lubrication and working the key back and forth in the lock carefully to get them to work normally.  I took the soor panel off and lubed all of the moving parts I could find and sprayed graphite in the key hole.  It felt like the key was about to break for quite a while after I got the car.  It must have been sitting for years.  Or the PO never locked the doors.  The doors can only be locked when the door is closed.  The key and the button don't work when the door is open.  This might be your door problem.

The hatch button works by turning the key clockwise with the button up, then pushing the button down to open the hatch door.  The key just stops the button from moving downward.  Turning the key counterclockwise and removing it locks the button.

The glove box knob works by locking when the key is inserted and it is turned counter-clockwise.  Then the key is removed and it can't be rotated at all.  Insert the key in the slot and turn it 1/4 turn clockwise, remove the key, and it will be unlocked.  Then turn the knob another 1/4 turn to open the door.  Or just leave the key in and turn it 1/2 turn and it should open.  The normal unlocked key slot orientation is vertical.  Locked is horizontal.  There's a small arm inside that rotates over behind a catch to keep the door closed.  Most of the latch parts are adjustable, maybe yours moved a little bit.  Try turning the knob clockwise and shifting the door back and forth while prying on it a little bit.  Maybe it's just stuck.  Could also be that the screw that holds the latch is loose and the latch isn't moving with the knob.  Maybe try pushing on the door while turning the knob.  There's not much to the thing.

This is for 1976.  Nissan changed the doors and windows in 1977, but I think that even 1978 still needed the key to lock the doors and they have to be closed.  Not positive though.

Forgot to say that the key has to be inserted completely before it will turn.  My locks were all hard to get the key in to for a while.  You just have to lubricate them, and wiggle and press until they insert completely.  Freud.

Thank you for the great tips. I will have some time tomorrow to play around with my new resurrection project since I was informed we will not be working tomorrow due to the flood conditions in the area. Thank the LORD our home has stayed intact here in Lugoff and our daughter is safe and dry in flood ravaged Columbia. I sprayed all the lock mechanisms and will carefully play around with the keys and locks. Just hoping to find some interesting stuff in the glove box. May also start pulling some more parts off to further evaluate the condition of this project. Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC

Earlier years used multiple keys, but the later years did not. The later years, like yours, used one key for everything.

However, many of the lock components have worn out and have been replaced over the past forty years and there's no guarantee that what you have in your car is original or not. Also keep in mind that the door locks and ignition switch are generally used much more often than the glove box and hatch locks, and hence, usually wear out first. It's conceivable that your car had the doors and ignition lock replaced at some point and that's the key you have in your possession. And there's no guarantee that if something was replaced (like the doors and ignition locks) that they keyed them the same as the car used to be. Probably should have, but no guarantee.

All that said...

If you're just trying to get into the glove box, you can take the three or four Phillips head screws out of the hinge on the bottom of the glove box door (above the passengers shins) and get the door open a bunch. And once you have it open that far, you might be able to see what's going on with your lock and latch that is making it not open the correct way.

Zed Head

And just for lock trivia... The 77 and 78 doors can be locked with or without the key. If you push the lock button down before you close the door, you can hold the door handle up while you close the door and it stays locked. If you just close it without holding the handle up, it unlocks itself when it latches. Page 6 of the 77 Owner's Manual describes the single key for everything and the locking procedures.

From what you said above, it sounds like this feature started in 77? Yet another reason I love my 77!!

There is one key for the ignition and passenger doors, A second key for the rear hatch and glove box.

Greg, If your 77 works that way, your car probably had the doors and ignition locks replaced at some point. According to the Owner's Manual, your car left the factory with the same key working everything.

Zed Head

And just for lock trivia... The 77 and 78 doors can be locked with or without the key. If you push the lock button down before you close the door, you can hold the door handle up while you close the door and it stays locked. If you just close it without holding the handle up, it unlocks itself when it latches. Page 6 of the 77 Owner's Manual describes the single key for everything and the locking procedures.

From what you said above, it sounds like this feature started in 77? Yet another reason I love my 77!!

Because you can lock your keys in the car!  Sorry, had to do that.

It is a pain to have to get your keys to lock the car up at night.  Not that I live in a crime-ridden area, I just don't want to tempt the neighborhood kids.

I learn something new almost every day on this forum Bruce.  I recall my 71' had two keys and when I got the 77' it came with two keys. So everything was normal right? They are a left cut and right cut keys, but alas, not original. It is a 1/77. Maybe I got the last of the 2 key cars and Datsun was trying to get rid of old inventory  LOL .

As far as door locks go, RCB gave me a good pointer.  I could not unlock the doors with a key, but I could lock them with a key.  They were just worn out on one side.  RCB's suggestion was to just reverse the door locks.  Now I can unlock with a key.  To lock, like mentioned before, just hold the handle up. Saved me having to replace locks and ignition just to have a matching key.