IGNORED

Inspirational video for those in the middle of their S30 restorations (like me)

Namerow

Yes, I read the write-up by the engine shop too.  Very interesting.  Carrillo rods (no surprise) and a billet crank (!). The Aussie builder (located just east of Melbourne, by the way) sounds very knowlegable on the topic of L-series engines.  Note the comments about cam wipe patterns and use of Nissan parts.  I didn't realize that the 3x2 Mikuni carb setup was that rare and sought-after. Maybe just this particular size? Also, I wonder what kind of power this engine made on the dyno.  There was a suggestion that the head had been 'flow-rated for 400 Hp', but there were no figures given anywhere that I could see about the actual outputs achieved at the crank.

Yeah a nice build and I believe it was the 50mm that made the Mikunis rare. I would also like to see the final numbers. I would also be interested in the costs numbers to see how they compare to some of the other performance builders.

50PHH Solex's are indeed uncommon. Expect to pay over USD$4,000.00 for a set of 3, ex Japan - if you can find some.

Les & Greg have deliberately chosen NOT to release HP & Torque figures, as it just becomes a 'pissing contest' & plays no real part in the driving experience of the 240Z.
I was lucky enough to sample the engine & gearbox when it was fitted to the 240Z 'Test Mule', before the engine & gearbox package was sent over to the US &

I can attest that the performance is 'enough' - after my drive, my eyes were watering & I needed a change of underwear...

Cost? To replicate a similar engine, gearbox & exhaust system would cost north of USD$25,000, so it's not a package for the average Zed owner, however

Les does sell engine/gearbox packages that are cheaper (depending on spec).

With the current exchange rate, it makes for very good buying if you are after a SERIOUS L series engine...

And if anyone has specific question's about the LCR L34, I'll do my best to answer them :)

Edited by Lurch

Lurch

Thanks for the reply. I understand that all horsepower is not the same and even between Dynos numbers very greatly but they do give a starting point to base observations on. I am not surprised as to expected costs. There was a tremendous amount of work put into the engine and transmission. $4000... ouch...