IGNORED

Horn stopped working because.....

rcb280z

Was cruising around in the 77 280z today. Is nice having the drivers side seat fixed, thanks to grannyknot (Chris). He had the part I needed. Beautiful day it is! I saw someone I recognized and went to tap the horn and got nothing. Tried again and still nothing. Went back home and traced it (finally) to this. post-20387-0-85529100-1443310984_thumb.j Does anyone have this part? Or know where I might find one. I've searched the internet with no luck so far but haven't given up. Thanks.  

Ok, this is going to sound really strange... but that looks EXACTLY the same size and shape of a Parma Slot Car controller wiper arm. I kid you not. I just happen to have a nearly new Parma Plus controller in my stuff and I swear it would fit. Even has the correct curve to the arm and a Bronze button.  Those arms are readily available from Various Slot Car vendors.....

You need two parts, The arm and the button. The Button can be " swaged " into place with a small ball bearing and hammer or a dull Center punch. Or you can solder the Button on.

Arm:

http://www.professormotor.com/product-p/p402.htm

P402-2.jpg

Button:

http://www.professormotor.com/product-p/p401.htm

P401-2T.jpg

Edited by Chickenman

ChickenDude, it does not surprise me in the least that you made that apparently obsure connection. AND I'm coming to your place to play, I mean, RACE, slot cars next time I get over to the coast.

Edited by zKars

Haha! too funny Chickenman. I'm not surprised though. I do have the part coming from another member here, Stevej. Hopefully that is. If not then that could be a possibility. Just had to customize a 1157 socket for a rear break light so.....

Hmmm...slot cars. Haven't done that in over 20 yrs! Was always fun. 

You're certainly welcome to join us Jim. Things are pretty casual... but do bring a couple of Bullets!!

My buddy ( also into Datsun's ) has a 3 lane wood track we call Laguna Surrey. Complete with corkscrew. Measures 93 feet on the center lane and is FAST!!! 1/32nd scale cars.

Right now I'm preparing a Racer Sideways ZakSpeed Capri for a North American Group 5 proxy. Top secret stuff, but I may be able to slip in a photo later on...

Edited by Chickenman

So after I did my steering wheel upgrade, I made sure my horn was working and it worked great. Then one day, I'm out driving around and making a turn and some guy pulls out in front of me. I hit my horn button and nothing. Doesn't work.

Get home and test the horn again. Works fine sitting in my driveway...

Turns out that my horn worked great AS LONG AS THE STEERING WHEEL WAS POINTED STRAIGHT AHEAD. But if the wheel was turned to one side or another, the slip ring contact lost contact and my horn didn't work. That took me a couple weeks and two near misses on the road to figure out.

In the end, I made a little extendo contact and screwed it into place. Works great. Here's my original worn one and my replacement. The new one should last longer than I do.

P1060432_zpsvq7ofoax.jpg

P1060431_zpskzf2ufgr.jpg

I made the extendo contact. It's just a little piece of brass stock that I drilled and tapped for a small screw. Don't remember the size though. About the only dimension that matters is that its not so big that it hits other places you don't want it to hit.

Not sure when I'll be in there again, but I'll measure it for you next time if you want. I think I'll have my dash out again this coming off season for some changes and if you haven't fixed yours by then, I'll have my wheel off then and can refresh my memory.