IGNORED

Current Coilover Options For 280Z's

Smithwicks

Hey guys.

Been a lurker for the past couple of months. Finally getting around to my first post. Come from the world of messing with 90's Volvo's so its been an interesting switch up for me as of late.

Currently looking into replacing the suspension on my '76 280Z for a month or so now. Not looking to do any serious autocross or crazy stuff like that, just want to replace the stock suspension with something nice that will look good when done.

Looking at the coilover options right now but a little divided on what route I want to go exactly. I've been reading up on the available options and due to there being many threads, some being very old (5 or so years). Im a little confused about the options, especially with what struts are currently available from what suppliers.

I've read up a bit on strut sectioning and with the help of my roommate we should be able to accomplish the task. (Tools, welder, etc.) If I do go this option is there a good combo of strut and springs out there right now?

I've also come across these: https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/280z/front-coilover-conversion-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z Have there been any negative comments on these outside they cost more than making your own coilover setup?

Appreciate any help you guys can give even if its pointing me in the direction of a couple good threads.

-Tom

• Like 1

I've also come across these: https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/280z/front-coilover-conversion-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z Have there been any negative comments on these outside they cost more than making your own coilover setup?

One negative of the T3 product might be the cost of the shocks.  Koni's are expensive.

If you can do the work then just buying an adjustable spring perch (basically a threaded tube with a perch on it) and sectioning would give you the most basic thing people look for, adjustability, pretty cheaply.  The key to success is understanding that the sectioning is for getting the shock to fit properly and work within the desired range of travel.  Choosing the shock is a result of choosing ride height and finding one with the range of travel to fit that ride height.  The spring perch can be installed on any tube height.  

Basically answer the questions of "why am I cutting the strut tube to be this length", why am I using this shock, what is the purpose of the adjustable spring perch, where does the perch need to be with the springs I plan to use.

Even if you buy a package or kit, it's good to think about those questions.  People occasionally miss a question and end up with bottomed out shocks, or a car that sits too high or too low at full spring perch adjustment.  Wheels factor in also since they affect ride height.

One negative of the T3 product might be the cost of the shocks.  Koni's are expensive.

If you can do the work then just buying an adjustable spring perch (basically a threaded tube with a perch on it) and sectioning would give you the most basic thing people look for, adjustability, pretty cheaply.  The key to success is understanding that the sectioning is for getting the shock to fit properly and work within the desired range of travel.  Choosing the shock is a result of choosing ride height and finding one with the range of travel to fit that ride height.  The spring perch can be installed on any tube height.  

Basically answer the questions of "why am I cutting the strut tube to be this length", why am I using this shock, what is the purpose of the adjustable spring perch, where does the perch need to be with the springs I plan to use.

Even if you buy a package or kit, it's good to think about those questions.  People occasionally miss a question and end up with bottomed out shocks, or a car that sits too high or too low at full spring perch adjustment.  Wheels factor in also since they affect ride height.

Sounds good. Pretty much what I found in my search...making sure that everything is cut correctly is the big thing.

Another option to consider are the BC coilovers from JPN Garage that HaZmat used.  He appears to love them.

You can see them in his rustoration thread.

Took a look at that thread and they seem like a potential option. Guess I'll factor them into my cost comparison.

Patcon makes a point.  I was being "literal" in car slang terms.  Since the factory struts are "coilover" by definition.

Here's a setup that people seem to like - http://brandcarparts.com/shocks-struts-nissan-280z  Bolt-in.  Inexpensive.  Vogtland springs for lowering and a couple of shock/strut options.