IGNORED

Reproducing HeadLight Covers input needed from the community

Metalman5151

Hello all, I'm looking for some input from some of you who may own original JDM headlight covers. I have decided to reproduce them as I think there would be a fair amount of interest in a set of quality reproductions that are similar to the originals.

What I need from you, I don't have a set of originals but I have many pictures and along with some dimensions etc. that will be all I need to get started.

First I would like to know if there are at least 2 members who are willing to make a paper trace/template of their rings and covers and then mail them to me so that I will be able to locate the mounting holes in the correct locations. Ideally I'd like what I'm making to be interchangeable with the originals in case those of you who have them need lenses or simply want to save their originals from any wear and tear.  It would require making a trace or outline of your ring and your lens on a couple of pieces of paper. An easy way to do this is with charcoal or even a dirty finger :) although I would prefer it as neat as possible. A crayon would also work. Main thing I need is the location of the mounting holes.

I also need someone to give me a couple of measurements. 1. Width of the rings. 2 Depth of the lip on the rings. 3. Thickness of original lenses. With the template and these measurement I can make a fairly accurate reproduction.

I plan on using Polycarbonate (Lexan) for the lenses for their toughness and better resistance to weathering. The rings I will make in stainless steel and fully polish.

I realize that there has been more than a few attempts at this over the years but please be assured that I will complete these. I restore vehicles for a living and have fabricated several different types of covers and rings over the years. The molds for the lenses are done (and yes they are the rounded shape not the more angular shape of the non ring lenses) and I'm in the process of building a hammerform for forming the rings. Depending on material costs and exactly how much time it takes for me to make each ring I plan on trying to price them for around $350 to $400 with high quality stainless hardware and high quality gaskets. If there is enough interest I would also be willing to give a group discount, but I do not intend to take deposits. I only want to accept payment for sets that are ready to ship. Also when I do complete a few sets I would be willing to send a set to a trusted member for their evaluation. Not looking to make a fast buck but rather would like to build some trust within the community.

Thanks,

Chris Hamilton

Please either post here or PM me if you are willing to help with my requests. Thanks again.

That would be great if you manage. I have a pair on my car.

I have done some research to make these aswell. My brother workes in a company that makes polycarbonate and other plastic material for the car industry. The problem that stopped me was the cost of the tools to make the lens. The way its curved was the problem.

Regarding the mt holes there are at least 3 different versions of the original headlight covers.

Good luck

Wouldn't you be better off buying/borrowing a pair of headlight scoops so you can be sure what you make will fit? It's not like the scoops will be damaged so any bought could be resold later on.

I don't have any contacts in Japan and I've yet to see a complete set on Ebay. I also don't know anyone with a set and even if I did, with the rarity/value of them would not feel comfortable borrowing them. If I can get the measurements and someone traces their rings and lenses (so I can get the location of the mounting holes) I can make something that is very similar.

I have had a set since 1986 when I removed them from a '76.  Just a few weeks ago I decided to install them on my BRE tribute race car and paint them red and white, but I screwed up and didn't leave the bolts loose enough.  Within a few hours, they cracked in several places as the temperature changed.  It shouldn't affect them as long as I can find some sort of tape or glue that I can put on the inside to keep the hairline cracks from spreading.

When I installed my Lexan hatch and quarter glass, I did it right and they are holding up fine.  The heads of the bolts cannot put any clamp load on the plastic.  They have to be loose enough to let the plastic expand and contract.

If they are available at a reasonable price, I will buy a set and leave them clear for night and rainy races.

Edited by Jeff G 78

hey Metalman, sorry for the delay, just enjoying the last bit of labour day summer heat. Anyways, i've found something interesting between the passenger and driver side lenses. I think my driver side lens was a replacement but the holes did not match the original rings. Now I understand why it cracked, i think the previous owner drilled it the wrong way. Could it be a Japan versus American version? (see picture showed in red, blue and green reference). I have no idea where to start the measurements, but you can see the width and thickness of the rim and lens. I've traced one ring and can do the other side if this is what you're looking for? Just let me know you need anything else.

Sorry I can't figure out how to attached my image. It's asking for URL? when I click on image attachment.

He's light years ahead of you, I'd say...

Sorry if I sounded snarky. I'm not that far away actually. My molds for the lenses are done.  I am done with the hammerforms with the execption of knowing what the original width and depth of the trim rings is. Once I get that info I'll take the forms and have them trimmed up  to the final width at my buddys shop on his CNC Laser Jet. Once that is done I'm ready to start making the rings. If I dont get the info I'll simply make them a width that looks good to my eye and put the mounting holes in an approximate place relative to the pics I've seen. I thought it would be nice to try and duplicate the originals and save someone from drilling new holes.

Could you help me out with the width and depth measurements? I've read a lot of your posts and if I remember correctly at one time you were looking into making them. Those 2 measurements would be very helpful.

@Jeff G Thanks for the info. I was talking to my buddy who owns a plastics machining shop and he was telling me the same thing. I may go with acrylic for the lenses as he says that the UV resistance on some of the newer coated acrylics is excellent  and it would also be cheaper and allow for countersinking which is would be critical to getting the correct look.

Edited by Metalman5151