IGNORED

260z no start once hot ..all electrical gone when hot

theatriks

OK guys I have a strange issue ....i have a late year 1974 datsun 260z ....its got new wires cap rotor...new starter and battery...and new coil.

When it has been sitting and cool i can start the car right up......

Once i start driving it and it heats up after i shut it off .....it doesnt start ...as a matter of fact i loose all electrical power not even the door chime works !!!!...no click ...nothing!!

After the car gets a chance to cool down ....it will start right up!!!!

Has anybody experienced this strange problem im having .

Thanks

Not too sure about the bottom bolt?  Never tried that one.  :)

I think I would put a voltmeter on the battery and see what it's showing while running.  Should read 14 volts or close.

Cleaning all the grounds will help and doesn't cost anything.

Cleaning the ground connectors is what I mean.  Read through this, it's for fuel injection but you'll get the idea.  http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/electricalconnections/index.html

index.1.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

Another thing to check is the fusable links and the ammeter shunt connections. They get loose and corroded with time. When the fail the whoel car can shut down. Clean them and carefully tighten if nessecary. Don't squeeze to hard as they tend to get britlle with age.

There are two fusable links located on the firewall above the starter. This is small white/milky cube (if the cover is still intact) with four large wires on the bottom and two short loops on the side opposite the large wires. Two of the large wires are white with red trace. Not sure about hte others.

The ammeter shunt is on the right side frame rail under the alternator. It is a rectangle box with two large white wires (red trace on one or both) and two small wires (red I think). If your ammeter is not working open the shunt housing and check the fuses. There are two 1 amp or 2 amp fuses inside which feed the ammeter.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so it turns out it was a fuse in my fusible link box this whole time ....

image_zpspefigszn.jpg

now to figure out whats melting this guy....ive started by buying a new fuse holder and fuse and see how quickly it happens again ....im wondering if its the new starter i put in ...because thats the only change ive made along with a new coil .

Edited by theatriks