IGNORED

Recommendation for new radiator and elctrical fan for 280Z

Marios280Z

How many people submerse the rotor of their water pump in water prior to installation, to lubricate the bearing?  And do not spin the pump before installing?  Who can resist that?

I couldn't resist on my last install. Just something you would normally do, right?....spin the propeller. I do it to make sure it spins freely. Interesting. 

How many people submerse the rotor of their water pump in water prior to installation, to lubricate the bearing?  And do not spin the pump before installing?  Who can resist that?

Well if that is the case then I have wrecked every water pump I have ever installed.  I can't remember any of them failing after installation.

• 2 weeks later...

My new Aisn water pump (thanks for the recommendation siteunseen) came in yesterday. It does have a cast iron impeller. I did order it form Amazon. I ordered the three row Champion radiator. Should be coming in tomorrow. Still trying decide what to do about the fan situation.

Does anybody have a recommendation for the coolant fluid with this aftermarket aluminum radiator and L28 engine?

I've used any of the conventional green antifreeze/coolants for many years in aluminium head engines. Usually Prestone, Zerex or Peak. Change every 4 - 5 years to keep anti corrosion additives fresh.

Never mix AF colors, Especially Green and Red ( Dexcool ) . Mixing Dexcool with green AF will cause the coolant to congeal into a jelly like sludge and can plug everything up solid.

Edited by Chickenman

Green AF it will be.Here is the pic of the pump:

post-30354-0-57949300-1441849854_thumb.j

And here is the radiator:

post-30354-0-46994800-1441849916_thumb.j

post-30354-0-25418100-1441850186_thumb.j

It's even polished! And it  It does have the drain plug at the bottom, which is nice. also ordered this stainless steel radiator hose set, but after seeing in person I'm not sure I'm liking it:

post-30354-0-38592200-1441850349_thumb.j

As I mentioned before, I wa in the look out for a shoroud and a fan kit. I was upset that Champion would sell one for 240Z and 260Z radiators but not for 280. So I messaged them today asking why it was so. Well, I got a response and the guys said that they actually do have a set either with a 16" fan or double 12" fans, but it is a new product and they don't have it on the website yet!! I was happy to hear that but at the same time pissed a bit because I could have order it all at once (I like their clean 240/260 solution: http://www.championradiators.com/Datsun-260z-radiator-shroud-1974-1975 ), pay one shipping and would have had all I need to do the full project...I; going to try and negotiate shipping costs with them.

Anyway, so there. Now you know. There is a shroud and fan set for 280 if you are looking for one. I'm guessing it will look very similar to the one on Champion website for 240/260Z. They also sell thermocontorl wiring that utilized thermostat sensor and relay: http://www.championradiators.com/Thermostat_Relay_Kit_185/170. The sensor is actually the type that can be screwed in (radiator hose, thermostat housing, etc) rather than pushed through a radiator.  I did notice that I do have two openings in my thermostat housing that are plugged with a bolt now:

post-30354-0-63133800-1441850914_thumb.j

The problem with that is that I don't know what thread is in my housing and what thread is on the sensor. I have seen some posts on interwebzz where people had to re-thread their thermostat housing to make this work. Not really something I want to do...I also saw people installing special adapter in the upper radiator house that had threaded brass insert to hold a sensor. Fex-a-lite makes this adapter but it cost some $40!!

Any comments or ideas?

Edited by Marios280Z

I have the 3 row Champion radiator in my car.  I've used it for city driving and seems to be doing the job while looking pretty.

As for fan's, I decided to go for the dual cheap 10"s units available on Amazon.  They fit the radiator great, but really don't push that much air.  I'd be tempted to fit a junkyard fan from a Taurus or something if I were to do it again (Or go high end aftermarket).  I haven't had any overheating issues but there really is not that much flow.  I'm using an Adjustable thermostat probe in the radiator right now to turn the fans off and on.  I have a new thermostat housing from a 280zx which I will be using, and plan to install a probe in there instead of the radiator.

Edited by HuD 91gt

For radiator, I have the one in your first link. Installed it 3 yrs ago, no issues yet. Make sure you install some rubber insulators.

I want to install an electric fan but am not sure what to get yet.

Why is it necessary to install rubber insulators?  I have always just bolted it in.